Newbie looking for CC and Tips

*~Sarah~*

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm new here to this forum, i have been into photography for about 1 year, but i have only been using a simple point and shoot, i worked in a lab and when i saw what works of art the proffesional photographers where creating i decided i wanted to try and learn more.

I have just bought a Canon ESO 400D yesterday, i just took it from the box had a look at the book and when off adverturing, below are a small few of my pictures, it would be great to get some constructive
criticism (even if they are really bad, i don't mind you saying...lol ) about them and some tips on where to go next.

Many Thanks in advance :D

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

Welcome Sarah :)

I do like the second image a lot. the last one is too dark without a well defined shilouete for my taste.

sorry, might comment more later as I am just hurrying through at the moment ;)

Thank you for your reply Alex, the second one is my favourite too

This is a slightly better picture of the building in image 3 taken from a different angle facing the sun as opposed to away from it.

townhall.jpg

The time of day will determine how a shot looks. The same scene taken in the early morning will have a very different look than if taken at noon time. Lighting is everything. (It took years for that to sink into my head) But back to your shots. The first has a nice composition to it but I think it would be better at sunset with more color in the sky. The 2nd shot is composed nicely and I feel that the 3rd shot,as in the 1st shot would be better at a different time of day( without the back lighting which causes the towers to be near silhouettes)
Enjoy the journey

Thanks for your advice Mike, Yeah with image number 1 I was too tired to wait for the sunset that day which was just about creeping about me, but i'll take onboard your advice and wait around for it next time.

I love using the SLR as opposed to the small point and shoot one. And I will enjoy the journey :) i have a few small day trips planned in the next few days to the islands surrounding where i live so i'm sure i have plently of oppertunities to get comfortable with my camera then.

I think that they need some more contrast

wooo, ok well lets see here, im going to be as honest as possible without being mean, number 1 has nothing interesting to look at in it, the colors are a little, momochromatic, and would have looked better taken from a different angle, say, like down by the logs and doing a depth of fild shot down them, might bring a little more......oomph? to it, second ones way cool, and the 3rd one is too dark, but i see youve fixed that.

Welcome and enjoy your camera. I suggest for a while - use the Programme mode as a guide to see what the camera thinks is needed and to get the feel of it and shoot-shoot and shoot. You can always delete afterwards. Once you have downloaded - i always reformat when I put a card back in the camera and so far have not had problems with saving images to card this way. I don't know what editing programme you use - photoshop is the standard - but have a look at the information EXIF files that go with each picture - exposure - aperture and the like and this will give you an idea of what combination produces what kind of result.
Don't be afraid to post pictures - we all learn from each other and be willing to let others edit - If you like the result they tell you how they did it!
I look forward to your pictures - bit different to my flat Fenland here.

I like th eset up on the first picture, but the lighting could be a little better. What I would do if you live within driving distance of this place I would go back and take this when the sky is a little more pink or red. something to make the picture pop and stand out.

Good luck with your new camera you wont be able to stop buying toys for it now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back