Newbie... need direction!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gbug46, Nov 13, 2008.

1. gbug46

gbug46 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been a lurker here for a while~ and have decided to jump in because I really would like some direction in what I am doing! :D I looked around and couldn't find any info on maximum pic size... is there one? If so, I will resize.

I took some pictures of my BF's daughter at the park the other day and would love for you to critique some for me... here are just a few of the many we took!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please C&C for me... After looking them over and reading other C&C's I realize now that they are probably too close up and also too centered?!?

Thanks~

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually these aren't too bad.

As long as you keep the eyes (as a general rule) in the top 1/3 of the picture frame you're doing pretty well. Keep that in mind for landscape shots as well. The picture with the K9 is a little too centered but the rest look fine.

Keep working on your settings in manual mode.

Both of your landscape shots look a little blown out.

edit*

1 more thing. Picture size that works for the forum is really no more than 800x400 I think? Someone can correct me, but essentially it depends on the size of the viewers monitor. Mine is 1280x800 so I can see a full portrait picture on my the screen with that size.

3. gbug46

gbug46 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank You bace! I am definitely still working on techniques, exposures, etc...

I need all of the advice I can get!

4. DRoberts

DRoberts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you did a good job...My only other advice would be watch your lighting. #1. is a bit to bright. Notice the shadow across her face in #2, and the highlight on her forehead and left cheek in #5. Some will say it doesn't matter, but others will say its a big distraction.
    Overall, nice shots.

5. gbug46

gbug46 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you Droberts... I do struggle with lighting... but have tried to start paying closer attention to that.

Thanks again!:D

6. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're definitely on the right track. I like them all. To improve lighting on the face, try a reflector. Did you use fill flash at all on these?

7. gbug46

gbug46 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    edited to say- *I misunderstood pugnacious33's question!! Hmmm... fill flash? I have no idea what that is! :D

Yes I did use a flash on some of the shots I took, but I don't remember which ones... we took so many that day at several locations... I think the glare of the sunlight was an issue in a lot of the pics.... Is there a rule of thumb on positioning when taking pictures in the sunlight?... obviously, I didn't do so well in some of them, but some came out nice?!? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  8. S40T5Lover

S40T5Lover TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love #3, the fact that she isn't looking at the camera makes it that much better. #1, I like that you left the color on the letter jacket. How did you do that?

9. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pretty nice shots overall. #1 is artsy, and I like it, but the bright yellow does distract from the main subject. #4 is also a nice shot and is soft (meaning in a good way) but again the brightness above the subject's head does pull the eyes away. They could be toned down in editing for comparison.

10. gbug46

gbug46 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :hail:I am so surprised that it seems I did a decent job! Thanks so much!!

It was what I will call my "first" real photo shoot! I was actually asked by my friend to do these... Not just running around taking pictures of and for everyone! :D She is wanting me to get more as the year progresses for her daughter's senior year... we will do some snow shots later and spring, etc...

*S40T5Lover~ I used photoshop to make it a black/white photo and erased the areas of the letters so that the yellow would show through. I think #3 is one of my fav's even though you can't see her face, that rainbow shot was a one in a million... the sun just happened to be at the right spot to make a rainbow in the fountain behind her! Her mom actually noticed the rainbow so we moved over there to try to capture the rainbow in some of the pics~ I was quite surprised, though I still don't see the pot of gold, do you? :D

*TwoRails~ #1 was the her absolute favorite when I gave the disk to her... then the one with her doggie (which I love too, btw) How can I go about toning down the brightness?

11. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In regards to #1, when you use selective coloring, you draw the subject to the colored items. Works great for bridal bouquets, not so much when you're supposed to be looking at the face. Also, when you do selective coloring, your black and white conversion for your top layer has to really nail it. Selective coloring really highlights (no pun intended) a poor B&W conversion.

#3 is really your strongest photo, I think, but might need some cropping.

12. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fill flash is just like regular flash, just used to compliment the natural light.