Newbie Needs Help buying first SLR - DSLR

Bob95065

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am getting into photography and am looking at buying a DSLR camera. I like Canon and want to get a Canon camera. I have absolutely no experianec whatsoever with SLR cameras at all. I am an engineer so I do learn techinical skills quickly so I imagine I'll be able to learn all about optics and cameras after spending some time with it.

I am looking at the Rebel line and the 20D/30D line. The newest Rebel camera looks like a great value to me. A question I have is what is the difference between these two lines of cameras? What justifies the big price difference? Is it worth it for a guy like me? I want to buy a camera that I can use out of the box and also has features that I can learn to use as I get into more advanced photograhy. What are the differences between the 20D and the 30D?

I have done some reaserach on the 20D and found some deals on the internet that seem almost too good to be true. Has anyone seen these: http://www.royalcamera.com/canon20d-continental.html
http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=192944&start=1

I am planning a trip to New York next spring and may buy a camera during that trip. Do you think it would be worth going to these stores? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help and what a great forum!

Bob Elliott

The camera you buy is really a matter of persoal prefrence price feel quality you have to compare these things yourself and pick what works for you. as far as 20D, 30D compared to rebel the main part of the price jump comes down to two things durability an features but as a long term if you can afford it go with the sturdiest. I am not too farmiliar with Canon's current models but if the 30D is an updated and/or improved 20D this would be by far the best choice for a long term investment especially over a rebel. Now the tricky part comes with where to buy, I say buy local and for a few reasons first and foremost if you buy far away from home and your camera needs repair do you really want to deal with shipping and phone calls/e-mails for communication when you can just walk into your local place and hand it over to the guy who sold it to you. Now being a Ritz Camera employee I am certanly biased but the have the best retail prices a good repair department and usually very knowledgable staff selling you the camera that's your best bet if you have one nearby but reall any LOCAL place will do. well good luck and have fun!!!!!!

In my opinion, if you have never used an SLR before, find a used 35mm manual SLR.

That's what I started on and I'm so glad I did becuase DSLR's are very complicated in comparison. If you buy a DSLR without any experience on any sort of SLR, than it will be like eating a giant whale in one bite. If you buy a Manual SLR and purchase lenses, flashes, etc in anticipation to going digital, than things will work out much nicer and you'll be able to take little bites that will go down much easier.

Everything in my sig works seamlessly with everything else. I started out on my Nikon FE and bought all my equipment in anticiaption on switching to digital. I still use my FE for night photography because it can meter perfect hour+ long exposures! no DLSR can do that without horrendous amounts of noise.

If you buy a Manual SLR and the correct lenses now, when you make the switch, you'll only be out about $100 beucase if you play your cards right, everything would work with everything else, like what I got.

Sw1tchFX said:
In my opinion, if you have never used an SLR before, find a used 35mm manual SLR.

That's what I started on and I'm so glad I did becuase DSLR's are very complicated in comparison. If you buy a DSLR without any experience on any sort of SLR, than it will be like eating a giant whale in one bite. If you buy a Manual SLR and purchase lenses, flashes, etc in anticipation to going digital, than things will work out much nicer and you'll be able to take little bites that will go down much easier.

Everything in my sig works seamlessly with everything else. I started out on my Nikon FE and bought all my equipment in anticiaption on switching to digital. I still use my FE for night photography because it can meter perfect hour+ long exposures! no DLSR can do that without horrendous amounts of noise.

If you buy a Manual SLR and the correct lenses now, when you make the switch, you'll only be out about $100 beucase if you play your cards right, everything would work with everything else, like what I got.

I gotta agre with that. I got a Canon rebel k2 which is a pretty good camera. I got really comfortable with it and after I build up my collection of accessories I'm going to get probally a 30D or somethign similiar

Sw1tchFX said:
Everything in my sig works seamlessly with everything else.

Off topic and nothing to do with the question asked but.......

Hey Switch, there is nothing in your sig about your gear LOL

Cheers,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back