Newbie needs help with product photos....

ann9787

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!

I am by no means a photographer, but I have to get some photos of my draperies taken soon! I am using a digital camera as the photos will go on the web and my biggest problem has been lighting!!! I can't seem to get the clarity I need. Here are a couple of photos I've taken so far:

http://www.dreamdrapes.com/picturegallery/images/Goblet1.jpg

http://www.dreamdrapes.com/picturegallery/images/Traditionalfrench2.jpg

I think the first one looks best, but I think I got lucky... I don't really know what I'm doing!!!

Is a "rifa" light something I should be using? I've been using flood lights which don't give off enought light it seems.

Here's a photo from a site that I would love to emulate in terms of quality:

http://www.drapestyle.com/images/pop_silk_solid.jpg

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how to go about acheiving a similar quality? Is it mostly in the lighting????

I would really appreciate any input!!!!

Erm.... I'm probably not alone in not seeing much of a difference between your pictures and the "quality" one. Your pictures, whilst not perhaps the most exciting thing in the world are a very good attempt.

You're on the right track with lighting. Lighting is critical to most things photographic!

Try a dull time of day when the outside light is approximately balanced with your artificial lighting. Add a standard lamp to warm the tones in the image.

Use a tripod to sharpen them up.

Rob

p.s. It really looks like there's a fingerprint on your lens as there's a smudgy bit in both pictures at the same place!

Welcome to the forum,

I think the lighting is pretty good in your photos. The image is soft however. Maybe there is a smudge, but definitely use a tripod and the self timer on the camera.

Do you have Photoshop or some editing software? Digital sharpening might also help.

I will definetely attempt to use a tripod... The only thing is that the drapes are about 7ft. tall and I had to get on a ladder to take the pics... I suppose I can rig something for a tripod...

The lighting thing was such a frustration for me because I was relying on 6 flood lights and just couldn't really position them where I felt they needed to be and I was working with such a tight space.....

Someone suggested I rent a "Rifa" light and that should put out all the light I would need. Does anyone know if this seems like an accurate statement???? Thanks!!!!!

You would be better off with a shoot through umbrella. The problem with flood light is balancing them with the color temp from sun or shade. Here a good thing to do unless you want to take the pictures yourself. Go to a local art shcool or college that has a photo program. Ask the teacher if there is someone who could handle this job. The student would have something for a portfolio. If you lucky the school will have the equipment that is needed for the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back