Newbie needs lens advice

nh10ring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For years, I have used nothing but a point & shoot camera. In planning a month long vacation next year to the western U.S. I figure it is about time to step up into DSLR world. Reviews have me leaning to the Nikon D3300 for a starter camera. I have a choice as t0 whether or not to get the kit lenses (18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR). I am worried that the 55-200mm will not be enough for zooming in on shots out west. Is the 55-200mm VR worth getting? Or should I skip it and invest in a 70-300mm VR lens? I don't like the thoughts of spnding a lot of money, yet, I don't want to have any regrets for being cheap. Thoughts???

I can give no advice on what lens would be ideal for the American west as I haven't been there but I would say that the 18 55 is good for most things like landscapes and so on or photos of you/ family at those locations. The 55 200 would be the logical choice in terms of a second lens, these are what I have. Its true that the 70 300 has more zoom capability but you might find that you pigeon hole yourself into that type of photography.

For years, I have used nothing but a point & shoot camera. In planning a month long vacation next year to the western U.S. I figure it is about time to step up into DSLR world. Reviews have me leaning to the Nikon D3300 for a starter camera. I have a choice as t0 whether or not to get the kit lenses (18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR). I am worried that the 55-200mm will not be enough for zooming in on shots out west. Is the 55-200mm VR worth getting? Or should I skip it and invest in a 70-300mm VR lens? I don't like the thoughts of spnding a lot of money, yet, I don't want to have any regrets for being cheap. Thoughts???
My suggestion would be to just get the 18 55 mm to start, if your on a budget tamron makes an outstanding 70 300 mm with VC and you can usually get them very cheap used. The Nikkor 70 300 mm VR is more expensive but also a great lens. Either will give you better image quality than the 55 200.

I shoot the tamron myself, I have owned the Nikkor as well. IQ wise they are very close, in fact I actually liked the way the tamron renders a little better than the Nikkor, but I'd have to give the Nikkor the edge on build quality

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

I actually have the Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens and it's ok, but the autofocus is kinda slow, I've tried the Nikkor 70-300mm VR and the autofocus is definitely faster, it's what I would use. Honestly I don't like the idea of buying third party lens, mainly because you never know if it will work on future camera bodies if you intend to upgrade later on. If you wish you can get the Nikkor 70-300mm VR used and you can find it for pretty good prices. The Nikkor 18-55mm is not a bad lens and you might actually want to have that lens to with it.

I live in the American west...18-55 and 55-200 would be nice to have; you will want a telephoto lens. And yes, the added 100mm of the 70-300 VR lens would be welcome at many places where the distances are long. I would honestly buy that lens USED. I think its retail price new is too high, but the used price is fair. I have read a lot of good things about the Tamron 70-300 VC as well; enough to make me think the Tamron might be a little bit better lens than the Nikkor 70-300 VR, so if you feel like the $359-$369 price point for a brand-new lens with a USA warranty is what you're after, I would consider the Tamron 70-300 VC model.

I live in the American west...18-55 and 55-200 would be nice to have; you will want a telephoto lens. And yes, the added 100mm of the 70-300 VR lens would be welcome at many places where the distances are long. I would honestly buy that lens USED. I think its retail price new is too high, but the used price is fair. I have read a lot of good things about the Tamron 70-300 VC as well; enough to make me think the Tamron might be a little bit better lens than the Nikkor 70-300 VR, so if you feel like the $359-$369 price point for a brand-new lens with a USA warranty is what you're after, I would consider the Tamron 70-300 VC model.

Thanks Derrel. I have been eyeing the Tamron 7300 VC. It is getting great reviews. I can't really afford it, but there is a $100 rebate offer right now, putting them at $349. I can't afford not to buy it at that price. It is hard to sell the wife on why we should have a telephoto lens, but she hasn't seen the west yet :)

The Oregon coast. The Columbia River Gorge. Puget Sound. The Olympic Peninsula. The Snake River Canyon. The Strait of Juan de Fuca. The San Juan Islands. The John Day River. The Rogue River. San Francisco Bay.

It is hard to sell the wife on why we should have a telephoto lens, but she hasn't seen the west yet :)
There's plenty to see, for sure! And the distances are quite long. One thing to consider is; what exactly are you going to use the telephoto for? I can see it being used to photograph wildlife, catching distant landscapes, and of course; memorable portraits of you both. Perhaps at this time you simply don't know yet where all you could use the longer lens, but if you have it or another one along with you, I'm sure you will use it.

It is hard to sell the wife on why we should have a telephoto lens, but she hasn't seen the west yet :)
There's plenty to see, for sure! And the distances are quite long. One thing to consider is; what exactly are you going to use the telephoto for? I can see it being used to photograph wildlife, catching distant landscapes, and of course; memorable portraits of you both. Perhaps at this time you simply don't know yet where all you could use the longer lens, but if you have it or another one along with you, I'm sure you will use it.

We will be venturing to the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Rocky Mountain National Park. I figure those all will offer some opportunities for a zoom. Since we will be driving, we will be seeing a lot of wide open country.

I took (IMO) one of the better photographs at the GC. I noticed some girls trying to get themselves all in the photo with the canyon in the background. I offered to take their photo. Instead of standing on the normal walkway, I stepped up onto one of the rocks behind me. I aimed downward toward the girls and got the canyon as the background. No thanks is necessary, girls.

I took (IMO) one of the better photographs at the GC. I noticed some girls trying to get themselves all in the photo with the canyon in the background. I offered to take their photo. Instead of standing on the normal walkway, I stepped up onto one of the rocks behind me. I aimed downward toward the girls and got the canyon as the background. No thanks is necessary, girls.
Did you find a lot of use with a zoom at the Grand Canyon? Or would the 55-200mm suffice?

I've been in the American West a lot. Here is my advice:

Different tools for difference projects. If I was shooting wildlife, I'd want a 300mm zoom. If I was shooting sports, I'd want a minimum of a 200mm zoom and ideally 300mm and it would be fast (i.e.: f2.8). But frankly, I doubt you're shooting either.

What I would argue is critical stuff for anyone shooting landscapes and vistas in the US West would be:
--a damn good tripod. No cheap POS. Get something that is rock solid stable, even on rough uneven ground. If you're going to be hiking, then get something that is probably good for hikes (lightweight yet still stable, folds up small so probably 3 joints rather than 2, probably composite material).
--filters. Specifically a neutral density filter (when you want to blur the waterfall or stream during the day). A graduated neutral density filter (when you want to shoot a sunset). A circular polarizer filter when you want to make the clouds pop and also deal with the harsh sun that will cause glare.
--a remote shutter exposure (cable or microwave) to minimize rocking the camera when you click the shutter.
--microfibre cloths b/c it's dusty out there.

Don't get me wrong--I love me a good 200mm (or longer). But when I've been out in the West, I wasn't using a 200mm (or if I was, I was shooting at a wider angle and not 200mm). I was using wide angle lens mostly.

I've attached a couple of examples of some of the stuff I've shot (all of which were done with shorter focal lengths or did not require a zoom)...first one required a tripod and NDF and was shot at Estes Park, second one was shot in Fairbanks Alaska and gives you an idea of the "white nights" during the summer, next is the Columbia River Gorge, then Juneau Alaska with a mix of fog and sun, Garden of the Gods in Colorado, and Wahkeena Falls off of the Columbia River. I've got others from other locations I could post but some are too big or not appropriate for this site. The point is, I will use a 200mm or 300mm a lot but rarely when I'm shooting out west unless it involves wildlife that won't come to me or wildlife (like Bison) that I prefer to keep some distance with.

Attachments

• Estes Park-4.jpg
    Estes Park-4.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 130
  • AK Summer nighttime-2.jpg
    AK Summer nighttime-2.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Columbia River Gorge-1.jpg
    Columbia River Gorge-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 115
  • AK-angry weather-3.jpg
    AK-angry weather-3.jpg