Newbie needs to shoot anniversary

Zee1970

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi everyone

I need your help

I need to shoot my friend's anniversay with my digital camera. I am newbie and take shoots just for fun. I have the Canon Rebel XT Digital Camera with the Speedlite 420EX. Now the setting is going to be a reception hall with chandilier lights (indoors) .. I have taken some test shots but on automatic settings they tend to turn out dark ..not too dark but not bright as I hope them to be ..mostly they would portraits and group shots ..please help .. I don't have any other equipment ..so if someone can tell me what is the best way to shoot these on manual setting ..like how can I set the camera ..

thanks so much ..

Zee

I've shot with the Canon 10D + that same flash in low light. I set the ISO to 400 and the exposure was very good. What ISO did you do the test shots with?

I wonder what you mean by too dark. I wonder if you are seeing your stobe lighting naturally "fall off." If so, you can try working on a tripod and "dragging the shutter" a bit (shooting at a somewhat slow shutter speed) to allow some of the ambient light to illuminate the background. Be careful about shooting too slow, allowing the available light to overcome the stobe light, or recording subject movement.

If you're gonna use an auto or program setting, try posing your subjects about 6-10 feet in front of a wall, and that will brighten up your backgrounds. It's not the best approach, but it's a simple way to brighten things up a bit.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Whenever I shoot indoors (wedding receptions, etc.) I run on shutter priority mode with the shutter speed aroudn 1/20 or 1/30 sec. The flash will freeze the action, and the slow shutter will expose the background better.

I was shooting using the auto mode which i think had the iso at 100 ..since I don't know much about photography, i stuck with the auto mode.. I'll try to take some shoots with setting the iso at 400 .. and see what happen .. now would that bring more graininess in the pictures?? also should i use the 1/20 or 1/30 shutter speed with setting the iso at 400 ?? sorry to sound so novice at this ..but you guys are the pros and i really appriciate any input..

thanks

Zee

ps ..too dark meaning the subject(people posing) skin tone was not bright as I think should have been .. it was sharp and very detailed picture but like it could have been brighter..hope that helps

Zee1970 said:
also should i use the 1/20 or 1/30 shutter speed with setting the iso at 400 ??
Why don't you try both and see for yourself? You have a digital SLR and can view the results right that moment. This is all about practice, practice and more practice :). Practice with your family or friends.

Here is a thread on flash @ low-lit venues.
You should also learn how to read the histograms.

Hope this helps! :)
Daniel

Most reactions

New Topics

Back