Newbie on food photography. What to buy?

Luigi74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody...

I'm a food photographer wannabe... I don't even have a decent camera, and here's where I need your help. I'm new in this forum, but not new at internet forums at all, based on my experience on that , I'll try to be specific to get the best advice from you.

MY GOAL: To be able to take GREAT food pictures,I'm a chef and I have to hire a proffesional photograper several times a year to get images for my menu, and advertising on my restaurant, now I want to do it myself.

THE FORMAT: Digital.

MY BUDGET: 600-800 USD.

I'll like to get the best camera for that money, the fancy lenses, and nice lightning equipment will come later. Now what I'm looking for , is a nice camera for that job, with a basic lens that can do the task properly and also the basic lightning equipment. I don't mind to go DIY in the lightbox, or maybe to get a very basic umbrella set. I think that most of my resources must go into the camera, wich in the future I can upgrade with nice lenses of specialized flashes.

Best regards and all your info will be very appreciated;)

A Tilt Shift lens would be very helpful to you in food photography. You can get a good one from $1,200-$2,200.

You'll probably want an off camera flash or two, so that's another $200-$500 a piece.

It would be nice to have a reliable remote trigger system as well, so tack on another $250-$500.

If you buy a camera body with a kit lens, such as a Canon XSi, you're looking at $600-800.

The kit lens is pretty soft, and soon you will want sharper images, so the next lens could be anywhere from $500 and up into the thousands.

By the way, I want to be a chef, so could you give me some great recipes, and tips on how to cook, so I don't have to pay resaurants to feed me, when I can do it myself, just as easily, and cheaper?

By the way, I want to be a chef, so could you give me some great recipes, and tips on how to cook, so I don't have to pay resaurants to feed me, when I can do it myself, just as easily, and cheaper?

I wanna be an airline pilot, have you seen the cost of airfare these days? Is there an Airline Pilot Forum somewhere?

To the OP, I would suggest a Nikon D90. The reasons are far more than I wish to type out right now. You can find a used one with kit lens for within your budget (on the high end).

p!nK

I wanted to be a jeweler, but I'm way to nice, you've come to a great forum you'll learn a lot about photography and people

A Tilt Shift lens would be very helpful to you in food photography. You can get a good one from $1,200-$2,200.

You'll probably want an off camera flash or two, so that's another $200-$500 a piece.

It would be nice to have a reliable remote trigger system as well, so tack on another $250-$500.

If you buy a camera body with a kit lens, such as a Canon XSi, you're looking at $600-800.

The kit lens is pretty soft, and soon you will want sharper images, so the next lens could be anywhere from $500 and up into the thousands.

Hi Bitter Jeweler...

Easy... Go to epicurious.com or watch the food network, you'll find lots of information, just by following the easy recipes and free advice, you'll be cooking nice meals very soon,you'll be a good home cook quick and easy, and if you see that you really want to be chef but in a budget, get a part time job at a restaurant as a cook help and you'll learn a lot, not spending money, actually you'll make a few bucks while you learn... And after that, if you see that your really enjoy proffesional cooking, you can get promoted to cook, then to sous chef and within some years you'll be a chef... Or if you have the money, you can go to the culinary institut of america and that will shorten your learning curve.

You see how easy I could answer your question without being rude?... Next time don't bother, I can't care less about your sarcasm or bitterness as your nickname suggest, if I were a newbie in the forums scene, it will be very discouraging to be answered on my first question by a jerk , but since I spend quite a few hours in the internet, I know that the democracy of the web has a price to be paid... Dealing with the bitter, the narrow minded, the angry and the know-it-all.

Have a nice day.

Luis

I wanna be an airline pilot, have you seen the cost of airfare these days? Is there an Airline Pilot Forum somewhere?

To the OP, I would suggest a Nikon D90. The reasons are far more than I wish to type out right now. You can find a used one with kit lens for within your budget (on the high end).

p!nK

Thanks a lot man... I'll start checking on that camera!:thumbup:

I wanted to be a jeweler, but I'm way to nice, you've come to a great forum you'll learn a lot about photography and people

Thanks a lot man!!... Yep, this place looks like the perfect place to start learning:D

You see how easy I could answer your question without being rude?... Next time don't bother, I can't care less about your sarcasm or bitterness as your nickname suggest, if I were a newbie in the forums scene, it will be very discouraging to be answered on my first question by a jerk , but since I spend quite a few hours in the internet, I know that the democracy of the web has a price to be paid... Dealing with the bitter, the narrow minded, the angry and the know-it-all.

Well said Luis.

Methinks Bitter is trying to build a persona on the forum as a bad-ass but on the rare occasion he has something good to contribute. ;)

Luis

:lmao: :thumbup:

I really don't think he knows how to be polite, just ignore him, most of us do. He's what I'd consider an "Art Snob"...pretentious and rude, though easily ignored.

Well said Luis.

Methinks Bitter is trying to build a persona on the forum as a bad-ass but on the rare occasion he has something good to contribute. ;)

LOL :lol: I agree, it's getting obnoxious, but what can ya do.

;) Thanks guys... I'm here to make friends and learn about photography, I like internet forums, there is always great people, great advice and it's always an enriching experience.

Now I'm still on the "asking questions" phase, hopefully within a few months I'll be able to offer something, if not enriching to the site, at least laughable.

Best regards and thanks for your words and advice!!:D

To be honest with you, any DSLR should do what you want to do.

Personally, I believe lighting is more important than the camera itself. So you could pick up a entry level DSLR from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax or Sony. The result should be about the same.

For product photography, sharp lens is recommended. Most of the kit lenses nowadays are not optically excellent but decently sharp if you can stop it down. And since you have enough lighting, it is not going to be a big issue. Of course, a sharper lens is always better.

Therefore, I will say go out and take a look at the cameras that fit your budget. Try them, play around with it and see if you like it. If you have questions, come back and ask.

I am glad you you disregarded this advice. You'll see. You'll see that tilt shift lens will be extremely helpful for food photography. You'll see that you will want the more expensive fancy lenses sooner than you think. You'll see that you will want to do the lighting correctly. Sorry about giving you the heads up, from experience, of what you are getting yourself into.

I am used to everyone dissin' me and the name calling, I don't care, it's ugly in it's own right. Apparently I am not allowed to have a dissenting opinion here. I am not allowed to comment on the FACT that so many people think they don't need a professional photographer who knows what they are doing, spent years perfecting their craft, and makes a living off their chosen profession/art form. I am sorry that I laugh everytime (twice today) someone thinks all they need is a camera and they could do at least as good or better job themselves, 'cuz you know, all it takes is a camera. Excuse me for defending a profession.

Ron, I'm "rarely helpful," really? Really?

To be honest with you, any DSLR should do what you want to do.

Personally, I believe lighting is more important than the camera itself. So you could pick up a entry level DSLR from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax or Sony. The result should be about the same.

For product photography, sharp lens is recommended. Most of the kit lenses nowadays are not optically excellent but decently sharp if you can stop it down. And since you have enough lighting, it is not going to be a big issue. Of course, a sharper lens is always better.

Therefore, I will say go out and take a look at the cameras that fit your budget. Try them, play around with it and see if you like it. If you have questions, come back and ask.

Thanks for the advice man!!:thumbup:

I hate to agree with Bitter, but he's right. Food photography especially. Luis, if you really do care about your business and your food image, then you shouldn't worry about forking out some money to get a PRO to take some shots. If you go the diy route, you're just going to be devaluing your own worth for the first long while by taking crappy shots of good food. Photography isn't as simple as most people make it out to be, much the same cooking isn't as simple as people make it out to be. People will help you and give you suggestions on what gear to get, but it takes more than just gear to take a good picture. Especially of food.

That being said, I'd suggest pretty much what was said above.

Get a d90 or 50d (~$1000)
A long tilt shift lens (~$1000 to $2000)
At least one off camera flash and a sync method(~$150 and up bare minimum)
Make your own modifiers for now.

For 600-800 bucks, you can't get a whole lot if you want professional results. People say it isn't about the gear, but when it comes to "studio" shooting, it kinda does. Not necessarily the camera, but lenses and lights.

Good luck with your endeavours.

I am used to everyone dissin' me and the name calling, I don't care, it's ugly in it's own right. Apparently I am not allowed to have a dissenting opinion here. I am not allowed to comment on the FACT that so many people think they don't need a professional photographer who knows what they are doing, spent years perfecting their craft, and makes a living off their chosen profession/art form. I am sorry that I laugh everytime (twice today) someone thinks all they need is a camera and they could do at least as good or better job themselves, 'cuz you know, all it takes is a camera. Excuse me for defending a profession.

Ron, I'm "rarely helpful," really? Really?

You bring it on yourself 99% of the time Bitter. You're flat rude, condescending and arrogant in most of your posts.

Sure, this time you actually had something of value to offer the OP in the advice about tilt-shift lenses, but you just couldn't help yourself and made a stupid snide remark at the end. Was that necessary? No. If you hadn't included that statement, you would have earned the respect that your skill deserves, but instead you blew it with the lame comment. And this is only one of MANY posts like this.

"Apparently I'm not allowed to have a dissenting opinion here."
That's ALL you have to say 99% of the time!

"Defending the profession" is one thing...belittling another person on the internet is plain childish by way of hiding behind a computer to vent your "bitter" issues.

Your points, when you actually take the time to MAKE a point, are usually very accurate and valid, but dang if you don't ALSO say something completely useless and stupid.

Example: "By the way, I want to be a chef, so could you give me some great recipes, and tips on how to cook, so I don't have to pay resaurants to feed me, when I can do it myself, just as easily, and cheaper?"

I know that you have me on ignore, so you'll never see this, but it's funny how you don't want to see something negative about YOURSELF, yet you have NO problems being negative toward other people. Amusing, really, but sad in a way too.

You're a grown man, stop being so pretentious like you're God's gift to "defend" photography.

Notice how so many people classify you as the forum "jerk", for lack of a better term? Hmm...maybe we're all just over sensitive and you're completely docile....or....maybe we're right and you have issues. No...couldn't be the latter. If it was, you'd actually have to try to be....*gasp*...POLITE. But why bother, right? You'll never meet us. Just continue hiding behind your keyboard like the super-badass you think you are, job well done! Nice hat, by the way, Mr. Sinatra :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back