Newbie on food photography. What to buy?

A Tilt Shift lens would be very helpful to you in food photography. You can get a good one from $1,200-$2,200.

You'll probably want an off camera flash or two, so that's another $200-$500 a piece.

It would be nice to have a reliable remote trigger system as well, so tack on another $250-$500.

If you buy a camera body with a kit lens, such as a Canon XSi, you're looking at $600-800.

The kit lens is pretty soft, and soon you will want sharper images, so the next lens could be anywhere from $500 and up into the thousands.

By the way, I want to be a chef, so could you give me some great recipes, and tips on how to cook, so I don't have to pay resaurants to feed me, when I can do it myself, just as easily, and cheaper?

Hi Bitter Jeweler...

Easy... Go to epicurious.com or watch the food network, you'll find lots of information, just by following the easy recipes and free advice, you'll be cooking nice meals very soon,you'll be a good home cook quick and easy, and if you see that you really want to be chef but in a budget, get a part time job at a restaurant as a cook help and you'll learn a lot, not spending money, actually you'll make a few bucks while you learn... And after that, if you see that your really enjoy proffesional cooking, you can get promoted to cook, then to sous chef and within some years you'll be a chef... Or if you have the money, you can go to the culinary institut of america and that will shorten your learning curve.

You see how easy I could answer your question without being rude?... Next time don't bother, I can't care less about your sarcasm or bitterness as your nickname suggest, if I were a newbie in the forums scene, it will be very discouraging to be answered on my first question by a jerk , but since I spend quite a few hours in the internet, I know that the democracy of the web has a price to be paid... Dealing with the bitter, the narrow minded, the angry and the know-it-all.

Have a nice day.

Luis

Bitter wasn't being a jerk he was being honest, i'm sorry but you are being the jerk if you think you can get pro shots for $600-$800

Over here no good restuarant has pictures on menu's the only places that have them are places that serve crap like Mc Donalds, Burger King, Subway
Gordon Ramsay would burn them

Crap like Subway??? Them's fightin' words!:playball:

Gsgary, he back pedaled. He isn't looking to replace the pro, as his first post suggests. He's looking to getting into it for fun, right now. Which changes everything, except that I am the jerk.

After researching Tilt-Shift lenses, I have seen what amazing things can be done with them, and many examples were food. To poo-poo it, is pretty ignorant. Of course it's not absolutely needed. It would be hugely beneficial. Also comparing shots with a Hasslebad, verses something like an XSi and kit lense is pretty funny.

Thats why i love it in the beginners forum

[
Hi Bitter Jeweler...

Easy... Go to epicurious.com or watch the food network, you'll find lots of information, just by following the easy recipes and free advice, you'll be cooking nice meals very soon,you'll be a good home cook quick and easy, and if you see that you really want to be chef but in a budget, get a part time job at a restaurant as a cook help and you'll learn a lot, not spending money, actually you'll make a few bucks while you learn... And after that, if you see that your really enjoy proffesional cooking, you can get promoted to cook, then to sous chef and within some years you'll be a chef... Or if you have the money, you can go to the culinary institut of america and that will shorten your learning curve.

You see how easy I could answer your question without being rude?... Next time don't bother, I can't care less about your sarcasm or bitterness as your nickname suggest, if I were a newbie in the forums scene, it will be very discouraging to be answered on my first question by a jerk , but since I spend quite a few hours in the internet, I know that the democracy of the web has a price to be paid... Dealing with the bitter, the narrow minded, the angry and the know-it-all.

Have a nice day.

Luis

Bitter wasn't being a jerk he was being honest, i'm sorry but you are being the jerk if you think you can get pro shots for $600-$800

Over here no good restuarant has pictures on menu's the only places that have them are places that serve crap like Mc Donalds, Burger King, Subway

I guess I missed that part where Luis said that he's going to be taking "pro-shots". As a matter of fact, didn't he say he was an amateur at best? How's your reading comprehension?

I think what Luis is trying to do is get his feet wet with food photography. Why are you discouraging someone looking to get into a field that you are so proud to be a part of? Are you dumb? And how is asking what the best equipment for the price range he listed being a jerk? Rational Thought called for you, they've been wondering where your brain has been.

You should tell David Hobby that.

[
Hi Bitter Jeweler...

Have a nice day.

Luis

I guess I missed that part where Luis said that he's going to be taking "pro-shots". As a matter of fact, didn't he say he was an amateur at best? How's your reading comprehension?

I think what Luis is trying to do is get his feet wet with food photography. Why are you discouraging someone looking to get into a field that you are so proud to be a part of? Are you dumb? And how is asking what the best equipment for the price range he listed being a jerk? Rational Thought called for you, they've been wondering where your brain has been.

MY GOAL: To be able to take GREAT food pictures,I'm a chef and I have to hire a proffesional photograper several times a year to get images for my menu, and advertising on my restaurant, now I want to do it myself.:p

MY GOAL: To be able to take GREAT food pictures,I'm a chef and I have to hire a proffesional photograper several times a year to get images for my menu, and advertising on my restaurant, now I want to do it myself.:p

And where does it say that his photo's are automatically going to be professional grade? He said he had HIRED a professional photographer, but now he clearly wants to get into it himself. You're not helping your argument. GOALS are something you WORK TOWARDS. Stop being a useless dolt please and thank you.

How many people here work on their cars? Can a medical doctor mod/tune their own car? Is that going to be a problem if he/she want to learn how to work on car and then later on do what he want to do with his own car?

The thing is OP want to try taking photo of the food he make. And hoping someone will give him some directions on how to start without knowing much about photography. If he/she already know, I do not think he need to ask.

Whether OP can achieve the result he/she is looking for, that's is a different story. Who knows!

People are getting kind of snappy.

I think what people are responding to, me included, is the underestimation of what it will take to pull of food shots at an acceptable level of quality. I don't think people are saying "Don't do it.", they are saying "It's not easy and you should understand that." If I wanted to be a race car driver but created the impression that I didn't understand the amount of skill and experience it actually takes, I would get similar responses.

The budget is possible in my opinion, but it is stretching it very far: used entry level D-SLR with fast lens, plastic tripod, gimp software (free), foam core, diffusion paper, high wattage shop lights, clamps, cinefoil, chairs or something as c-stands to clamp things to. The thing about this set-up is that you really need to know what you are doing and isn't really the beginner route. It's more of a MacGuyver route for a knowledgeable shooter who is broke or trying to make a point.

People are getting kind of snappy.

I think what people are responding to, me included, is the underestimation of what it will take to pull of food shots at an acceptable level of quality. I don't think people are saying "Don't do it.", they are saying "It's not easy and you should understand that." If I wanted to be a race car driver but created the impression that I didn't understand the amount of skill and experience it actually takes, I would get similar responses.

The budget is possible in my opinion, but it is stretching it very far: used entry level D-SLR with fast lens, plastic tripod, gimp software (free), foam core, diffusion paper, high wattage shop lights, clamps, cinefoil, chairs or something as c-stands to clamp things to. The thing about this set-up is that you really need to know what you are doing and isn't really the beginner route. It's more of a MacGuyver route for a knowledgeable shooter who is broke or trying to make a point.

Wrong.

MacGuyver could pull it off by fasioning a camera out of a paperclip, chewing gum, and the lens out of some guy's glasses. He wouldn't need anything to bounce the light because he would round house kick it into submission. Or is that Chuck Norris?

Gsgary, he back pedaled. He isn't looking to replace the pro, as his first post suggests. He's looking to getting into it for fun, right now. Which changes everything, except that I am the jerk.

After researching Tilt-Shift lenses, I have seen what amazing things can be done with them, and many examples were food. To poo-poo it, is pretty ignorant. Of course it's not absolutely needed. It would be hugely beneficial. Also comparing shots with a Hasslebad, verses something like an XSi and kit lense is pretty funny.

Bitter you are a jerk to everyone and bring it on yourself. You need to grow up and not flaunt your knowledge. Not only does it make people not want to listen to you it makes you come off as a pompous jackass. Basically making your longs posts of otherwise good solid information useless. It is almost like you come on here to put others down to make yourself feel better. High-school much? :lol:

I'd honestly like to see him banned until he can't get along in a group nicely. Maybe take some mental health classes?

Last edited:
Hi Bitter Jeweler...

Have a nice day.

Luis

Yes Crap, there is something like 2 times the daily intake of salt in one sandwich

Yes Crap, there is something like 2 times the daily intake of salt in one sandwich

I don't call that crap. I call that a lunch "worth its salt." :lol:

Most reactions

Back