Newbie query

mushroom_cloud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

came across this forum when i was browsing randomly, noticed this is a very friendly/helpful forum. Well, i don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but if it isn't, then the mods please free to delete/move this thread.

I'm a 20 year old, from India who will be moving to Leeds (UK) in another month. I'm very passionate about photography, but didn't have enough dough to get a camera since i was involved with music (read: buying musical equipment) and i've realized that i can not stay without a camera for longer. I would like to buy a beginner camera to start composing pictures.

Here are my requirements:
> the camera has to be Digital, i love analog photography and the dark room technique, although i don't have the finances to support analog camera setup

> I want control over aperture and shutter speed

> about 6-7 mpx

> I'm mostly going to be taking some pics of everything (people, landscapes etc) so i'm thinking a 35 mm lens?

I was looking at the Olympus SP510 for starters. Do you suggest any other camera? i would be forever in debt of your advice.

Thank you for reading.

There are way too many consumer and prosumer camera's out there to choose from.

Here's something I recommend doing while waiting for others to post their recommendations.
Check out www.dpreview.com and make a bit of a shortlist of cameras that interest you.

Since Meysha already gave you a good website to browse cameras at, I'll give you some camera options directly. I recently got my first DSLR so I'll share the camera options I've came across. First of all I'll suggest the Nikon D40 if you would like an easy to use SLR for a good price, but it only has 6 megapixels. If you like the D40 but the megapixel ain't high enough for you, consider a Nikon D40x, it has everything the D40 have, but the megapixel is a lot higher, it has 10 megapixels (or more). If Nikon isn't your brand then I'll suggest the Canon EOS 400D, which is what I chose to be my DSLR. It comes with a 18-55mm lens, fairly well for portraits, but I added a little more for a more advanced, 17-85mm IS lens, which is a lot better. If you think it's too pricey, the Canon EOS 350D is fairly the same, but has 2megapixels less than the 400D, it has 8 megapixels, which is very good in general. Although the two Canon models might be small for a 20 year old's hand, you could purchase a battery grip, which will hold 2 batteries at the same time, plus give you some space for your pinky, and will be more comfortable, that's why I use it too.

I hope that helped,
have fun shopping!

Jeremy

Hi,

Well..i'm not looking to buy a DSLR right now. You see, i'm just starting off and i'm studying, so i'd hate to take that much money from my parents. I'm looking for a basic starter camera, to get my understanding or composition, aperture, shutter speed etc. I really wouldn't be worthy of buying a DSLR.

Oh haha sorry, I gave you some useless info, and sorry again because I dont know a lot about digital compacts.

The extra money (which may be a lot less than you think) that you spend on a DSLR. will be repaid hundreds of times in quality and versatility.

A basic Digital compact will soon be out grown and then you will have to buy the DSLR as well..

A 400D brand new is going to set you back less than £400 on ebay and a good secondhand 350D will be below £300. The image will be infinately more controlable. Much better quality and the built in flash, while not up to studio quality will be MUCH better that a compact equivelent.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that if you can't afford a new DSLR you look for a second hand example. It will not be much more than a new high end compact but will be no end better in every way...

Good morning, 'Shroom! Welcome to the site!

You really should look into a used Nikon D50 with either a 50mm f1.8 or a 18-70mm f3.5-4 (your best bet for price vs. range). This kit will actually cost less when you figure in the cost of dental work from gritting your teeth over missed shots. ;) The D50 also seems a little sturdier than the comparable Canon.

mike

Welcome to the forum
Here are a few things to consider. If you are just learning about DOF (depth of field) it is different on a compact than a DSLR. That is because of the sensor size, This means that the at any give f/stop the background will be sharper (greater DOF) on a compact than on a DSLR. This could be a disadvantage when you want the background to be blurred.
Although it has improved, compacts suffer from Shutter Lag, and this could have an affect on shots you take of moving objects. Once you hit the shutter on a compact, there is a SLIGHT delay before the camera takes the shot and if your subject is moving it may lead to it being in a different position in the image than when you pressed the shutter.

You may be able to find a used DSLR for the same price as a new compact. I shoot with an original Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) and it serves me well. Although I have invested in higher quality glass.

Whichever way you decide to go, Enjoy!

Hi, thank you for the replies, i thought this thread was dead already.

Well, umm..this is a difficult decision to say the least. I'm just concerned about the quality of a second hand camera, and what i'll need to do to hunt down one. If it's the same price range and in fairly good condition then i'm sure as hell going for it, but if not the case..i'm waiting for a month and buying a digital compact.

I've waited so long, i guess i'll wait some more and get myself a good camera.

Just that i'll be a beginner with a DSLR, which just looks stupid in my head.

We were all beginners at one time. I first used an SLR 26 years ago and had no clue what I was doing. Your learning curve will be short with the help of people here and a few good books, and just think, you do not have the film expense.
Don't be intimidated by a DSLR.

It's not the DSLR which Makes an image... It is you. BUT the DSLR will be infinitely more capable of recording what you want it too..... Once youv'e learned all the tweakey things that it has on it.... (should take about a week! ! !).

And too, there is always program mode and auto WB if you want a P&S on steroids. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

For a good used camera, check KEH.com and there are others. Look for Ex and up. ymmv

Also, when shopping the used market it helps to be a little patient. ;)

patience, i have. But where do i look for a camera is the question..

Is Ebay a good option?

To find a camera. Go into one of your camera or hardware stores and look around. Ask them all the questions you can think of.

To find a good price. Use ebay - but be wary of scammers.

I'd definitely recommend getting a P&S for you. They're all pretty good now honestly - get something around $300-$400 (aussie dollars) and you'll be happy and you'll use it all the time. Don't worry about the bit of extra quality you'll be missing. Honestly, they're not much worse than the kit lens the DSLR's are shipped with.

And if you end up buying a dslr that you're not comfortable or confident with then you won't take any photos. Go buy something you're comfortable with. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back