Newbie question on scanning film

AdamZx3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Mamiya film camera (MSX 1000) that I used to use in highschool b+w photography. I use a nikon DSLR now but I wanted to go back to the basics and play around with some b+w film.

Back then we developed the film and then off to the darkroom for developing. (See some kids do start off with film and chemicals;) ) But now I don't have the darkroom to develop them in. I do however have a Microtek i800 flatbed scanner, with 35mm and MF film adapters. My big question is will I have the same leeway with correcting over/under exposure with the scanner as I did with the darkroom? I'm hoping its as easy as a pre-scan levels or gamma adjustment to compensate.

Yes and no. You can't depend on your paper for a particular color temperature (warm or cool) or tone range. Arguably you can do the same things in photoshop that you can in the darkroom though. The other thing is that when it comes time to actually print a digital photo, it's going to be done on a laser printer that exposes photographic paper anyway, unless you're a real cheap-ass and you have it done on a dye-sub.

You'll be able to correct under and over exposure somewhat in the scanner, but you'll need to use photoshop, for dust spotting, if nothing else, but probably also for levels, curves, and whatever other adjustments you'd like. I like using the duotone setting for sepia, split toning, and other digital color toning, as well.

cool thanks guys, i'll have to get some film soon.

I also love the duotones feature, pretty cool stuff.

Most reactions

Back