newbie: question regarding lenses

dj isa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i just got a canon xti as a gift not too long ago and realized the majority of the pictures i take are in low-light situations... i know this may seem a bit general, but what lens would benefit me considering that most photos i take are in low-light situations? the price doesn't matter too much but if anyone can lead me in any direction, that would be fantastic. thanks!!!

Low light need a large aperture (low f number). That's a generic answer for your generic question. Now as to what focal length or zoom etc you need that is quite up to you.

50mm f/1.2 would be a start.

The larger the aperture the more shallow the depth-of-field. You might also want to consider a lens with image stabilization.

Are we talking about low light and not using flash? When I'm in low light, I will usually find a way to light it up with flash (preferably not on-camera direct flash). If I'm not wanting flash (or it's not allowed) then a wide aperture lens is the way to go (plus high ISO).

What's your budget? There is a wide range. For example, the 50mm F1.8 is $100, the 50mm F1.4 is $315 and the 50mm F1.2 is $1350.

Are we talking about low light and not using flash? When I'm in low light, I will usually find a way to light it up with flash (preferably not on-camera direct flash). If I'm not wanting flash (or it's not allowed) then a wide aperture lens is the way to go (plus high ISO).

What's your budget? There is a wide range. For example, the 50mm F1.8 is $100, the 50mm F1.4 is $315 and the 50mm F1.2 is $1350.

Budget doesn't really matter for me. I'm fine to spend whatever amount whether from $100-$1350+ ... I'm speaking in terms of low light outdoors no flash and/or indoor i.e bboy (breakdancing) jam that consist of stage lights like spot lights.

Breakdancing would require either fast shutter speeds to freeze(if that's what your going for) the movement, or a little bit slower to portray movement. If you're going to try to freeze the movement you're going to need the 1.2 and higher ISO without flash. If you're trying to get some movement, you may consider a tripod. This seems like it could turn out some really cool photos. With some flash and a little slower shutter, you could get some really cool "ghosting". Make sure to post some pictures of the results.

Breakdancing would require either fast shutter speeds to freeze(if that's what your going for) the movement, or a little bit slower to portray movement. If you're going to try to freeze the movement you're going to need the 1.2 and higher ISO without flash. If you're trying to get some movement, you may consider a tripod. This seems like it could turn out some really cool photos. With some flash and a little slower shutter, you could get some really cool "ghosting". Make sure to post some pictures of the results.

i love this advice.. thanks man!!

Regards,
Melissa

Most reactions

Back