Newbie question

Mtalicarox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All,

I have a 10.2 MP camera. My question is - how large can i blow this up in inches before it starts losing quality?

Can it be poster size? Or something like 12"x12"?

Welcome to the forum.

It's not a black & white issue....and the term 'losing quality' is pretty subjective.

The typical standard for photo quality prints is 300 pixels per inch of print. But many people will tell you that you can lower that number to something like 240 PPI and not notice a difference.

Another big factor is viewing distance. Technically, you can make enormous prints...like for a bill board....but it would look terrible from 1 foot away...and it would probably look great from 30 feet or farther.

So yes, you can print poster sized prints, but take into account the proper viewing distance for a poster, when you judge the quality.

Now of course, the quality of the image will matter because the more you 'blow up' and image, the easier it will be to see it's faults. So if the image is slightly out of focus, or has any blur...that will get bigger and become noticeable. So to make really good, really big prints, it pays to have good technique. For example; use a good stable tripod, use mirror lock up and a remote trigger, use a good quality lens at an optimum aperture, capture an optimum exposure to reduce the amount of adjustments needed.

My suggestion is to have some test prints done and various sizes. That should give you an idea of the capabilities of you camera and your own skills etc.

Welcome to the forum.

It's not a black & white issue....and the term 'losing quality' is pretty subjective.

The typical standard for photo quality prints is 300 pixels per inch of print. But many people will tell you that you can lower that number to something like 240 PPI and not notice a difference.

Another big factor is viewing distance. Technically, you can make enormous prints...like for a bill board....but it would look terrible from 1 foot away...and it would probably look great from 30 feet or farther.

So yes, you can print poster sized prints, but take into account the proper viewing distance for a poster, when you judge the quality.

Now of course, the quality of the image will matter because the more you 'blow up' and image, the easier it will be to see it's faults. So if the image is slightly out of focus, or has any blur...that will get bigger and become noticeable. So to make really good, really big prints, it pays to have good technique. For example; use a good stable tripod, use mirror lock up and a remote trigger, use a good quality lens at an optimum aperture, capture an optimum exposure to reduce the amount of adjustments needed.

My suggestion is to have some test prints done and various sizes. That should give you an idea of the capabilities of you camera and your own skills etc.

Excellent response. Thank you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back