Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by whit~foto, Nov 24, 2008.

1. whit~foto

whit~foto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello everyone!

Thanks for check out my question here. I really would appreciate any advice.

Here is my situation. I was going to sign up for NYIP in a few weeks until I read a thread on TPF about several people who would vote again it. Several of you suggested that you just search the internet, and or post pics on TPF for critique. It got me thinking that that might be the way to go. Cheaper!

I am struggling as to what I should start learning first. I am frustrated with my Canon 3D (oldie but goodie) because when I take a picture it rarely turns out how I want it to. I haven't yet wrapped my brain around the Aperture and Shutter settings and how to know just how to set it or what mode to set it on (Av, Tv,A-Dep, M)

Is it in the len? I don't have a mounted Flash either.

My ultimate goal is the have my pictures be crisp in color and realistic and then move on to achieve good composition. How would I achieve this and where would you suggest I start learning?

(sorry so rambled...)

2. Dragoness

Dragoness TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not sure either, sorry. but I want to see the answers so I am replying so I get messages.

BUT I did learn apeture and all, that I can grasp but I seem to just not be getting the rest. The book Understanding Exposure has been great, I wish i could find it (in my house) so I could read more!

3. whit~foto

whit~foto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Understanding exposure : how to shoot great photographs with a film or digital camera
    Peterson, Bryan F.

Is this it?

4. Adour

Adour TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My advice; having just started looking at photogrpahy properly in the last couple of weeks woudl be to check out Ken Rockwell's site: www.kenrockwell.com

He keeps everything simple and I think explains the why very well so you can start learning for yourself. He also tries to put the art of photography into perspective and hopefully prevents you from getting bogged down in the details and encourages you to take photographs first!

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

LJ

5. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You found the right book! Its a great resource for information.

You need to learn about what aperture, shutter and ISO do and how they work together. This is stuff that applies to film and digital cameras, its the basics.

Once you get how things work, its all about practice. Take plenty of shots trying the various functions.

6. whit~foto

whit~foto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks guys! I will go check that out.

7. whit~foto

whit~foto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

GREAT SITE! I think I have seen this guy before and then couldn't find the site again. Thanks.

8. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes thats the book! I thought mine was in my bookshelf but its not there :(

10. PhotoJunkieJen

PhotoJunkieJen TPF Noob!

So I'm no pro :lol:

But learning about aperture and shutter speed is fundamental to move past shooting on the program/auto mode. It can be confusing at first, but once it gels, you'll have a solid foundation to build upon. You'll begin to understand how much control you have over a picture's outcome. :)

It's like learning the Alphabet is your building blocks to reading. Or the major scale is your building block to making music.

There should be plenty of free info about the basics of aperture and shutter speed available online. Google it up! :)

11. whit~foto

whit~foto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Totally agreed. That's why is has been frustrating. I just keep rereading the tutorials. One day it'll just click. Although, when I think it has clicked I go take a picture and it turns out like crap. Will that just happen?

Do other photographer either struggle with aperature/shutter settings? Or is that something you will eventually master in any setting?

12. whit~foto

whit~foto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit