Newbie say hello!

Xlixs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone! I'm new here and new to photography!
And off course I have a lot of question so I will start immediately :lmao:

Do I really need to buy immediately a new prosumer camera or is it possible to exercise about how to take a picture without buying a new camera?

I'm asking this because I think it's better to just understand the basic and than see what is a good camera for me.

Am I wrong? What do you think?

Any camera will do, preferably a manual one (maybe a 35mm SLR like Pentax K1000). Learn the skills well by reading lots of posts on this Forum then go experiment with it. Learn composition, exposure. These are key elements in the making or breaking of a photographer. What is important to remember is what makes the picture a memorable one. It's not the camera, it's not the lens but the picture taker.

And BTW, welcome aboard.

Welcome,

For a person learning on their own. I think its better to have a digital camera right in front of them. When you practice you can instantly see the results. And without having an expense of having film developed. Basically read and then practice. I think that helps understanding. Especially once you want to go past the basics.

There are quite a few P&S digitals that have manual controls that can be purchased for pretty cheap. I think it would be well worth buying a used one for $150 - $200. Can get a pretty decent one in that range.

Right now at KEH.com a very reputable used retailer has a Nikon 5700 in E+ shape for $139. Its a 5 megapixel with a pretty good big range zoom lens on it. That is a very good price for a camera that was $850 new when it originally came out! It is a prosumer camera that you can have full manual control over for practing just about everything you can do on a DSLR. I am sure there are Canon's and Pentax's in the same quality and price range as well!

I have an 8700 its big brother. Had it for about 5 years or so. No intentions of selling it. Still use it when I don't want to lug a big bag around.

Most reactions

Back