Newbie Says Hello

araknd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a newbie to this forum, but not to Nikon photography. Have three film bodies ( two-F2A and one - Nikormat) and several lenses (24mm up to 300mm). Also have a 5100 that I use a lot now. My newbie question is this - any way to use the old glass with the 5100? I know that the mounts are the same, and they do mount on the body, but are there adapters for this type of combination? At the least I would use manual focus, if I could get automated exposure.

TIA.

Lance in San Diego County

Have you tried taking a picture? If so what was the result?

Welcome aboard.

If you look through the 5100 user's manual there should be a table telling you what the limitations are with each lens type (AI, AI-S, etc) Most of them will work, but you may lose metering or something; look in the table.

You should upgrade to like a D7100 because that has the option for non cpu lens data and has an AI aperture ring connector so the camera will meter automatically like any other modern lens, just have manual focus. I could be wrong though. But as far as I know..the semi pro bodies like D7xxx, D6xx and up are better suited for use with older non AF lenses.

Doesn't mean these older lenses won't mount or work on your D5100, you will just have full manual I think.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back