Newbie sharing for the first time

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! I just started my very first website and am looking for some feedback.

Some things to keep in mind:

I am an amateur!!!
I've never created a website before in my life.
The images are low res to help protect myself and the children involved so they aren't as "crisp" as the full versions.
There might be typo-o's and other little nuances.
It's not finished.. actually, just started it last night, so its in the VERY early stages.
Its a free web hosting site, so there are limitations on what I can do.

The site is having issues uploading pictures to the gallery, so I only have about 10 shots there. But feedback/CC is welcome. I appreciate honesty in a constructive manner :blushing:

http://www.freewebs.com/kellylindseyphotography/index.htm

HEY YOU!!! I know you! ;)

<---Pea_inthepod on DS

I enjoy how tasteful, clean and simple your website layout is I think it's a good start :)

Also, I love the picture of the kid on the trike. It cracks me up, and has a cool kind of 'vintage' look to it!

Well for a beginner and the "newbie" you say you are it looks pretty good to me! Don't be so harsh on yourself, it looks awesome :) I like the layout / colors of your site so far and your pics are great. Keep it up!

Looks great Kelly

It looks like a pretty decent site. The only thing that I really noticed (that is really detracting and distracting) are the cheesy banner ads. Some of them are really tacky (especially the ones that say "Someone has a crush on you", etc.)

I know that is a drawback and is unavoidable with the free web services. Which is why I avoid them.

I think you should just pay for your own domain - they are super cheap. And I think if you are really going for a professional look and trying to sell your work or services, that you would benefit from doing so.

As for the shots, some of them are really nice - my favorite is the one with the chubby toddler eating the shish kabob with a table full of food.

Other shots kind of look like snap shots. I would only put my best on a portfolio site if I were you.

Also, I just noticed that the link in your sig appears to be broken.

Thank you very much Marcus! Really appreciate the feedback :) I've gotten the opposite critisism of that shot with the shish cabob.. hm! Everyoen has an opinion and no two are alike :)

If you wouldn't mind, could you point out which ones you feel are snapshotish? I would really appreciate it! Thanks :)

Thank you very much Marcus! Really appreciate the feedback :) I've gotten the opposite critisism of that shot with the shish cabob.. hm! Everyoen has an opinion and no two are alike :)

If you wouldn't mind, could you point out which ones you feel are snapshotish? I would really appreciate it! Thanks :)

Yea, with the shish-kabob shot, normally all the stuff on the table I would think is distracting clutter, but with that shot it's story-telling and funny - like the kid took got after all the food and pop on the table himself.

I think the shot of the kid on the slide in Ireland is too overexposed, the sky is somewhat blown-out, and it is a nice shot but kind of seems like a snapshot. The shot of the kid on the bike (#11) is also too overexposed IMO. There is not enough dynamic range in contrast in that shot. Then the shot "The Airport", it is a significant moment I'm sure, and emotional, but there's too much other stuff going on in the shot without enough attention on the subject, and you can't see either of their eyes. Just my opinions of course! I think the rest are really good.

I agree! I've gotten similar feedback from another place too :) For me, I think my hardest task as a photographer is to try not to be biased towards anything, especially pictures I feel emotional towards.

I'm going to tweak my gallery a bit, really appreciate your advice!

Most reactions

Back