newbie, sticking my neck out

Might be my screen but they all look underexposed.

they are. i suppose i should take my tripod next time.

Not an excuse. They are all very underexposed. For example, you shot the smokestack photo at 1/640th of a second at f/6.3 @ 100mm. You could have easily shot at 1/250th and still had no camera shake. The rule of thumb is your shutter speed can be as low as 1/(focal length). So you could have shot that shot on 1/100th or 1/150th and you would have been fine, and you could have properly exposed the photo.

Might be my screen but they all look underexposed.

they are. i suppose i should take my tripod next time.

Not an excuse. They are all very underexposed. For example, you shot the smokestack photo at 1/640th of a second at f/6.3 @ 100mm. You could have easily shot at 1/250th and still had no camera shake. The rule of thumb is your shutter speed can be as low as 1/(focal length). So you could have shot that shot on 1/100th or 1/150th and you would have been fine, and you could have properly exposed the photo.

thanks. alright, notes taken.

.... i do, however, have a fine art degree .....
How many works of the master painters look underexposed or are displayed with out a light shining on them?

How many sculptures are displayed in dark corners or without a light shining on them?

How many of the great photographs are purposely underexposed to gain saturation?

hi-ya...

i have a canon rebel xti. i have never formally trained in photography. i do, however, have a fine art degree and several of my friends in college were photo majors. i used to tag along on their shoots and thus had exposure (ha! a pun) to photography. i enjoy photography, though i'm really just a silly lay person/amateur. i am very paranoid about looking like another schmuck who got their hands on a dslr....

regardless, i don't think i'm TOO shabby! :)

for three years i've been shooting with the kit lens. i just got a 55-250mm is for my birthday this past weekend. wowwee! what a difference. i strolled downtown this morning and gave it a shot (ha! another pun).... photos are posted below

so why am i here? i think it's time i start getting some real honest-to-god feedback. sooo please humor me with some constructive criticism.

I'm sure this will sound harsh and that's not my intentions, but I disagree with the not too shabby. After three years of shooting, these aren't as good as what my wife gets and she knows nothing of photography other than seeing my photos. I haven't even been shooting for 3 years period yet and a lot of that time was with a kit lens as well...there's others on here that produce incredible results with a kit lens and less than 3 years experience. For someone with a fine arts degree I'd expect more personally. I think the first advice I can give is to not float your own boat by claiming yourself "not too shabby" and start sucking up knowledge.

hi-ya...

i have a canon rebel xti. i have never formally trained in photography. i do, however, have a fine art degree and several of my friends in college were photo majors. i used to tag along on their shoots and thus had exposure (ha! a pun) to photography. i enjoy photography, though i'm really just a silly lay person/amateur. i am very paranoid about looking like another schmuck who got their hands on a dslr....

for three years i've been shooting with the kit lens. i just got a 55-250mm is for my birthday this past weekend. wowwee! what a difference. i strolled downtown this morning and gave it a shot (ha! another pun).... photos are posted below

so why am i here? i think it's time i start getting some real honest-to-god feedback. sooo please humor me with some constructive criticism.

I'm sure this will sound harsh and that's not my intentions, but I disagree with the not too shabby. After three years of shooting, these aren't as good as what my wife gets and she knows nothing of photography other than seeing my photos. I haven't even been shooting for 3 years period yet and a lot of that time was with a kit lens as well...there's others on here that produce incredible results with a kit lens and less than 3 years experience. For someone with a fine arts degree I'd expect more personally. I think the first advice I can give is to not float your own boat by claiming yourself "not too shabby" and start sucking up knowledge.

wow. thanks for sucking the air out of my sails. i never claimed to be trying to impress anyone.

Because you hold a fine arts degree, and have had access to the dSLR for 3 years, it's more than fair to expect you to be capable of work at a higher standard. You should at least be conversant with the basics of composition: both positional, colometric.

I also wanted to mention: Have you noticed you're the only poster in this thread that doesn't use the shift key to make the appropriate capital letters?

hi-ya...

wow. thanks for sucking the air out of my sails. i never claimed to be trying to impress anyone.

Because you hold a fine arts degree, and have had access to the dSLR for 3 years, it's more than fair to expect you to be capable of work at a higher standard. You should at least be conversant with the basics of composition: both positional, colometric.

I also wanted to mention: Have you noticed you're the only poster in this thread that doesn't use the shift key to make the appropriate capital letters?

KmH basically has the response I would have given. If you were truly a beginner with a new DSLR, I could understand, but for 3 years and especially with a fine arts degree I would expect much more. If nothing else, a fine arts degree should have given you some creativity which isn't shown in these shots either.

i do believe i'm posting in the beginner's forum. my degree has nothing to do with photography. did i post in the beginners' forum or the expert snob forum?

I am speechless. I didn't come here for a bashing. I received my camera for christmas in 2007. 8 months out of the year I am in school full time and don't get much time to get out with my camera. I came to this forum for fair help and advice, not a lynching.

Thanks for being jerks.

Am i the only one that was expecting something better from a fine arts student, they all look snapshot, i thought you would have looked for some details

Am i the only one that was expecting something better from a fine arts student, they all look snapshot, i thought you would have looked for some details

Jerk!!

:sexywink:

I am speechless. I didn't come here for a bashing. I received my camera for christmas in 2007. 8 months out of the year I am in school full time and don't get much time to get out with my camera. I came to this forum for fair help and advice, not a lynching.

Thanks for being jerks.

I'm at work 11 months of the year, leave home at 6am and get home about 5.30pm but still take thousands of photos

Why, oh why the personal attacks.... for crying out loud. I majored in fashion design, not painting, not photography. That was TEN years ago! I'm now a single mom of three, and I just happen to like "taking pictures"... I AM no MORE no LESS, I AM ME! HERE I AM! Wanting to learn HOW to improve my photo-taking skills and with the limited time/budget that I have. I'm glad you are all so talented, and I'm glad your wives are so freaking hot. Just help me take better photos, don't judge me personally.

Take it with a grain of salt, but when it comes to posting on the internet, I just assume I'm going to be berated, then just go along with it when it happens. Internet tough guys hiding behind computers can be a nasty thing, just gotta deal with it. I just shrug them off and do my thing. I think you should too. ;)

Most reactions

Back