Newbie to Digital - 20D or 40D?

Reaction score
Website
www.eric-ralls.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been into photography for years and up until now I've only shot film. I figured it was time to jump into digital to make my workflow a little more streamlined. Since all of my gear is Canon EOS, I'm looking at the 20D and 40D. I don't have a budget for a 5D or a 1D, so please don't suggest those.

I've been searching around and I can get a 20D for around $250-300 used or a 40D for around $500-600 used. Which one would you guys suggest? I know that a 40D for that price is really good, but is it worth double the price of a 20D? I plan on shooting with whatever I get for a year or two then probably upgrading to a better body.

Thanks. :D

I still shoot a 20D for most of my casual snaps and walkabout/party stuff. It's an "okay" body, but if it were me buying a used camera, I think the added features of the 40D, like the dedicated AF-On button and the larger LCD screen and faster frame rate, which helps the AF system gather more data, faster, would make me want to go with the 40D. The 40D is two generations newer than the 20D, in one manner of looking at it (20D,30D,40D),so to me, the extra money for the 40D would be worth it.

The 20D was a landmark camera for its time, with huge sales numbers, but it is getting longer in the tooth with each passing month. The 40D was likewise a HUGE sales success,and I think probably for good reason.

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking. I guess I'll start working on finding a 40D.

Or should I get a 20D and spend the extra cash on a new lens? Decisions, decisions...

I'm kind of in agreement with Derrel. The 20D would probably be fine, but it is getting older. The 40D has a number of improvements and is only a few hundred more. If you wanted to look for a 50D those are running around 750 these days on ebay, not bad there either.

As for save the extra money and spend it on a lens, that is typically a better choice, but the question is what other lens would you be able to get with the 20D that you couldn't get if you got a 40D?

DEFINITELY the 40d. Heck, the 30d is worth pretty much double the 20.

Autofocus (AF) performance in low light - Not many have talked about this, but if you had difficulty acquiring focus in almost-dark conditions with your EOS 20D, the 40D was able to AF in the darkest of rooms without having to use any focus-assist beams from an external flash , or the distracting strobes from built-in flash.
Rear LCD Display
The 40D LCD is larger (3-inch, 230,000 pixels) and has more resolution compared to the one on the 20D (1.8-inch LCD screen, 118,000 pixels)
High ISO photo comparisons
Refer to this link for full-sized photos comparing the 20D vs 40D for noise levels, and a 5 camera showdown at EOS-Numerique.com (40D, 20D, 30D, 400D / Digital Rebel XTi, 350D / Digital Rebel XT).
Bob Atkin's 40D Review - Page 6 of Bob's review has some nice 20D vs 40D points, how HTP helps retain highlight detail in JPGs of high-contrast scenes, and a sound clip comparing the shutter sound of the 20D vs 40D (MUCH quieter and faster on the 40D).

equipment
soon to be (for college)
Canon 1d-mk II or 5D
70-200mm L
16-85mm L

Tools:
two eyes
two hands
one heart

"A true photo need not be explained, yet can not be contained in words"
"Nothing is worse than a sharp image of a blurry concept"

-Ansel Adams

I have the 1D Mark II and 5D mark II and can't see spending money on a cropped sensor camera unless you plan to shoot full frame in the future and its a temp through around camera. I am considering getting a 40D myself to replace my XTI as a through around / backpack camera etc. My vote is on the 40D good solid camera. 20 may be cheaper but its for a reason.

ALIAS

Most reactions

Back