Newbie -- Tried searching, but still have lighting questions..

JDawggie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All, I am looking for a lighting solution -- currently I am using utility lights (4 of them) that you can grab at most home improvement stores with 100watt flood lights, but find them cumbersome --- especially trying to hold the "screen" (white muslin fabric) in front of them to diffuse the light. I am mostly shooting flowers/products and some macro indoors. My current lens (nikon 40MM -Micro on d3100-- seems to always want more light indoors) I am looking to "upgrade to a more permanent easier-to-mange solution. After doings a bunch of searches, I am still not clear (as I am a beginner):

- Should I be looking to get a continuos lighting set up?
- Should I be looking to get a strobe set up?
- Should I be looking to get a continuous / strobe setup?

Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any suggestion or links to share --- please do. I was thinking maybe one soft box and one flashpoint strobe from Adorama? Yeah? NO?

If I am completely barking up the wrong tree -- just let me know that as well.

Many thanks in advance!
-Jared

Well, if you're looking at saving some money, and you're only shooting stationary objects (not people); you should look at a hot light set. Maybe some clamps to hold things in place. If you're eventually going to start shooting moving objects, you will want strobes more than likely.

As far as my advice, I would swing by Paul C. Buff - The Beginner Bee Package

Probably the best and easiest way to get into lighting. While it's shipping, if I were you, I would pick up a copy of Light, Science and Magic.

Last edited:
Why do people love Alienbees so much? I have a pair of chinese Mettle 300c, with stands cost about $400, and according to the Alienbee spec sheet compared against my measurements, each produce more light than Alienbee B400.

Guys - leave out the name calling. Have disagreements and opinions on equipment and such by all means; but without insulting other members.

Bitter - no rampaging - you're not Godzilla ;)

Why do people love Alienbees so much? I have a pair of chinese Mettle 300c, with stands cost about $400, and according to the Alienbee spec sheet compared against my measurements, each produce more light than Alienbee B400.

A lot of it is that they stand behind their product and they have amazing customer service and warranty options. If it breaks, they'll fix it. Period.

Not many Chinese companies will do that. Just my .02

You're probably right. But at like $150, who cares.

Thanks -- I will take a look at that set. I actually picked up the Science of Light book not too long ago -- I just have not had a chance to read it yet.

I am new to this forum -- I presume that was just back-and-forth banter? :meh:

A fair amount of it was - the problem is they like to take a leaf out of the troll book on banter - which means the rocks have more spiky edges to them at times ;)

Thanks -- I will take a look at that set. I actually picked up the Science of Light book not too long ago -- I just have not had a chance to read it yet.

I apologize that this carried over into your thread. I started it and I shouldn't have.

The book really is eye opening, and after reading it, you should be able to make your shots work with just about any sort of lighting, although, IMO strobes will be more workable. For what you want to do, an AB400 will probably be enough. If you buy one of the more powerful ones, you might run into issues with it being too powerful. Heck, even a speedlight might be appropriate, i.e. for Nikon an SB600.

I have now somewhat cleared out the mess that was cluttering this thread up; I've left the original comment and the apology in place as well as my first notice and it ends there. Anyone that wants to continue takes up in private messages - if you post again on the argument in this thread you'll get a 24hour timeout from the site.

I'm not about to start banning general members of the site who are helpful because they have personal issues with others; however if you can't keep your personal issues outside of the general forum and allow them to keep spilling into the site and cause disruption then something is going to have to be done.
Please try to resolve issues in private or use the sites ignore feature.

What apology? I didn't get an apology. There wasn't anything that "carried over" from another thread. Unless it was a thread from 6 months ago and Kerbouchard has some type of undying Texas-sized grudge against me. This personal attack was from completely out of nowhere, and I think you exercised poor moderation by leaving his initial post.

Just sayin', Overread.

I apologize that this carried over into your thread. I started it and I shouldn't have.

The book really is eye opening, and after reading it, you should be able to make your shots work with just about any sort of lighting, although, IMO strobes will be more workable. For what you want to do, an AB400 will probably be enough. If you buy one of the more powerful ones, you might run into issues with it being too powerful. Heck, even a speedlight might be appropriate, i.e. for Nikon an SB600.

I just started reading the book yesterday -- it seems technical, but at the same time it is very easy to understand. I took a look at the AB set -- I have never worked with strobes before (hence why I am newbie)..regarding your comment about AB400 being enough and anything higher may be too much...from what I see you can control the output of the strobe. I did see the AB starter kit with AB800 (I think)...THis may be too powerful for product / flower shots? Well i am just in the discovery stage of figuring out what I want need -- most likely will buy something after the holidays!

Again -- thanks to all that replied.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back