Newbie w/questions :)

~Shantell~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. Be ready for lots of annoying questions! :lol:

First...

Do you ever use filters? Which ones? What conditions? Is there a drastic difference?

TIA!
~Shantell~

I always have a UV attached to each lens. I use it for protective purposes moreso than anything. I will occasionally use a polarizer when I am around water or other situations with glare. The IR filter is only for shooting infrared.The next purchase is going to be an ND so I can go down a few stops.

Like joyride, I always keep at least something over my main lens just to protect the glass. Normally it's just a clear UV filter. On sunny days, polarizers can do wonders, so I keep one of those with me in my camera bag. Other than that, I don't use any other types of filters.

I use a polarizer anytime I'm outdoors during bright sunny weather or anytime there's water in the scene. It brings out some interesting contrast.

Besides that I'd recommend researching filters and seeing which affects you might or might not be into then go from there. I use a Neutral Density filter for any shots with running water to get a nice motion blur on the water but if you're not into that type of pic you might not have much of a use for that filter so... it's largely up to personal preference.

like everyone else, i use a UV filter. i bought seperate ones for all my lens so i never have to switch them out.

for color i use a polarizer and a ND filter as well as a graduated ND fliter.
Polarizer makes bluer skies and ND makes everything darker. The graduated ND filter i use in conjunction with the polarizer to make the sky darker and white clouds pop more.

with B&W its very helpful to have a red filter. This brings out contrast and darkens skies. If you use a red filter and a polarizer you can get the type of skies you see in ansel adams pics.

I'm going to be different and say I don't use a UV filter. I think the quality of your shots suffers when covering your expensive glass with cheap filters. I used to use one and noticed a dramatic difference when I took it off. For protection issues a good lens hood and a bit of common sense is all you need.

As for other filters I generally carry a Polariser for bright days and a couple of NDs for water effects. Any other effects can be added in PS.

I was going to say exactly the same thing as NeoDude. he saved me a little typing.

august edition of popular photo has its top 5 thingy on filters, showing you the shots with and without filters so you can decide if it is something that you think you will use. just from looking at their picture I can say I will be buying a polarizing filter.

Most reactions

Back