Newbie: Which one should I keep? Rebel XT or S5 IS?

OK, here I go being contrarian again!

There are several things that need to be said about the relative quality of these two cameras.

1. The S5is is much sturdier! Built on a magnesium frame, better seals, sturdier material throughout. A Rebel - any Rebel! - is ... well, PLASTIC!

2. The quality of the glass in the built-in lens on the S5 is WAY, WAY better than a kit lens like the one that comes with the Rebel.

3. The S5 has a zoom range of 12x, whereas the Rebel kit lens is ... what? ... 2.5 or 3?

And so on. In other words, you can choose a top of the line Bridge camera (the S5is) or a bottom of the pile DSLR.

One real argument in favor of the Rebel is the size of the sensor. But, unless you plan to make enlargements in the range of 11x14 or more, that really isn't an issue either in my experience.

I'm just sayin ...

BTW, I shoot with the S3is (the S5's older sibling). Here's a link to some images I've made with it:
http://www.flickr.com/grimitz
Look, especially at the close-ups of the mocking bird for examples of the S3's quality. (Most of the other images were shot with one or the other of my Nikon DSLRs.)

The Rebel also has a metal frame.

You can argue all day about the lenses or what-have-you, but the heart of the difference is the size of the sensor. The larger sensor gives you the ability to control the depth of field, gives you higher image quality in general, and allows you far higher image quality at higher ISOs.

If you are only going to have the limitations of the one lens that came with it I PERSONALLY would forget the DSLR you will have a far more versatile fun camera with great image quality with the S5! You will have zoom, amazing macro, portability, great options in camera... etc etc..
I have owned both of these for some time...
I'm no pro. photographer but I do take photo's so I feel my input is justified in the beginners forum..
Please go to my Fotki link below take a look at my pictures.. if you look to the right you will see those taken with Rebel XT or the S5...
You will probably end up with the XT so whatever I guess...
What's important is you have fun and have no regrets right!! :)

Oh yes I also would agree with post #15.. it does have limitations indoors without flash, also shallow depth of field unless you are very close to subject.. ...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their responses. I did buy both cameras and took pictures side by side to compare the differences. I took them indoors, at night, and while the pictures were not great, Rebel XT did a much better job. S5 seems to look OK in daytime but awfully grainy at night (maybe there is something wrong with my camera?).

I'll try to save up money for the nifty fifty and a flash. I'm thinking 430EX or Sigma Super 500. The other questions I have is will the flash make a huge difference? I figure I'll spend a lot of time taking pictures indoors so I may as well make the investment, if it's worth it.

Good job not just listening to forum babble. I've owned an S3, S5, and rebel xt. XT wins hands down. If not for anything else the fact that you CAN upgrade later. You'll hear a lot from photo buffs trashing the kit lens and built-in flash. The kit lens really isn't too bad. It does its job. As for the built-in flash.. well it serves its purpose really. don't expect it to light up the world, but you can make it work for quite a variety of things.

Most reactions

Back