Newbie who needs comments and critiques!!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TheNickster, Nov 18, 2009.

1. TheNickster

TheNickster TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Soooo, this is the first time I've really put my stuff out here. Really trying to get deeper into photography so all comments and critiques are appreciated!

Keep in mind that I only have a Sony Cybershot (7.2 mps). Looking at buying a Canon Rebel. Any advice on buying a new digital camera is appreciated too!

Here it goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kpablo

Kpablo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I opted out not to get a rebel. I'm searching for a dSLR too. I narrowed it down to a Canon 40D or a Nikon D90.

3. lonewolfe

lonewolfe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have the t1i and im extremely happy with it, great features i suggest trying one out at your local store.

4. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What influenced that decision?

By the way, you have the right idea with a couple of these photos but they are missing something I can't quite place. They remind me of photos that I would take for some reason. :lol: Not sure what advice to give you considering I am a "newbie" myself. Good luck! :thumbup:

*Edit* I am thinking of getting the T1i this winter. Seems like a good choice if you are on a budget.

5. altitude604

altitude604 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Really liked #1 and #3.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Check out this thread Nick.

The basis for any pleasing image is composition.

There are many web sites that offer various guidlines.

7. Kpablo

Kpablo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not trying to hijack the thread towards the OP.

But in my research I have found that their is more room to grow with the other two models, just more options with the other two. Not saying that the Rebel is bad, but personally I decided against it based on what I am shooting, or plan to shoot.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_xsi_vs_xti_vs_40D.html

8. indeedies

indeedies TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the first one is an awesome idea!! I'm a new guy as well and always trying to get a different feel for perspectives and angles that I don't use in my stuff. This is one I will have to try sometime!!

9. Foques

Foques TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    first one looks like a good fellow I knew. by the name of Miller ;)

10. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forums!

#1 Neat idea and I like seeing fun things. However, the image would of been improved if you had the full nose in the shot, less space over his head and more on the bottom.

#2 Not liking this one. I find there is a lack of sharpness in the image. I'm not liking the shadows on the flower, even though they appear to section off the middle. There is also a lack of colour saturation and the composition is off as you cut off some of the petals on the bottom.
    When doing flowers, either go for the FULL flower or get in really close for just a part of it. In between doesnt work for me

#3 Fun idea again. I find that the top part is over exposed / really bright which takes away from the overall flow of the image. I'm guessing this part was closer to the light?

#4 Interesting, but doesn't work for me. Not sure why, I'm not liking the lines or the overall composition. Could be the lower right being dirty, the weird light upper left...I'm not sure.

11. BuS_RiDeR

BuS_RiDeR No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you will be satisfied with eithrr the canon 40D or the Nikon D90.

The canon is weatherproofed better than the Nikon I believe... And the Nikon does Video where the Canon does not. Go to a camera shop and hold them. The 40D is a bit geavier and to me feels more solid. (40D and 50D are very similar in build... most of the differences are internal)

I recently chose a Canon 50D and those were a few of the deciding factors for me.

12. Jeni

Jeni TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't consider myself much higher than a beginner, but I thought I'd give my two cents.

1. Nice shot. I've done one similar with my dog. I would say experiment with different angles based around the same thing. Sometimes just moving around a bit can make a big difference. Here's my shot if you want a look: Cody by ~burnlikediamonds on deviantART Experimenting with angles is always fun and you get some interesting perspectives.

2. This one just seems out of focus. There does not really seem to be any real sharp focus in this photo, except for maybe one or two of the petals at the bottom, whereas I feel the sharpest part should be around where the center of the photo is.

3. This one's nice, but it seems to be a little blown out with the highlight. Maybe softening the lighting source would make this a more pleasant photo.

4. The lighting in this one is really nice. =)

Hope this helps!