Newbie with a couple of questions

Hillary26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been lurking here for a long time, but just signed up tonight. My sister needs help, and so I thought this was the perfect place to come & ask questions. My sister is just starting a photography buisness. She has taken pictures for many years, but has finally decided to really pursue this ( she has a real talent ). She has bought the lighting, backdrops, and props. She was recently screwed over by someone who wanted to use a disk to make copies of some pictures and so she missed out on a big sale by doing that.

She is looking for a place to host her pictures, where they can place orders for her photo's, where they cant right click and save them to their own computer and make copies. She does not know where to look online to find the best site that offers all of this.

Where do I look to find this information? Do you recommend something in particular? Any places on the web to avoid? What fee's are reasonable for a place to host photo's? I want to see her buisness be successful, and I feel that this will be the step in the right direction :wink:

Thank you for ANY information that you can give me.

Hillary

Glad to see you found this site.
Now, I have no knowledge about staring up a business and such with photography, but I do believe that if she is starting up her own business, she may want to think about investing in her own personal site. This (IMO) adds a unique and more professional touch for the people to view their photos, or possible 'buyers' to scout out her portfolio.

There will be plenty more help on here, but that is my $0.02

Thanks for answering my question, I tend to agree with you :) Now I have to find out how she can start her own site with reasonable fee's :)

she may want to think about investing in her own personal site.
1. Yup!
Check out Evrim's gallery which I believe he designed himself - http://www.evrimgallery.com/Galleries/galleries.html
When you move the cursor over the image, the image disappears.
2. Check out my gallery (a generic smugmug site). I have turned off the right click option
3. Big, Ugly Watermarks

However, as far as I know, we cannot stop anyone from doing a 'Print Screen' :)

danalec99 said:
as I know, we cannot stop anyone from doing a 'Print Screen' :)
Exactly. If it's on the web, people can get it. The best way to prevent theft is to keep them small so they won't print well and to use watermarks. People who use CD proofs do this as well.

Did the customer make prints themselves or did they bring the CD someplace? Either way, there should be some legal recourse she can take if she is so inclined, since either is a copyright violation.

Creating a web page is def something she should do. It is reletively cheap also! You can get hosting and a domain name for around only $20 a year. Check out godaddy.com. I have personally used them and have a very practical and easy to use system. The initial cost of having the site built is where most of the cost is. This can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. My advice: Go to a college with an information tech department and find out if any students will do the work. My romm mate (http://homepages.wmich.edu/~j2willi4 ) does web pages for around $500 that would cost more than double from a real firm. But he's just trying to build his resume.

Most reactions

Back