Newbie with photos for review

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by RonRdRcr, Sep 23, 2007.

1. RonRdRcr

RonRdRcr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everyone, just wanted to share some of my photos I've taken. I'm just now getting more active in photography at the age of 29. I guess you can never be too old right...lol Anyway I've mostly taken pics of my motorcycles or friends and their bikes. I've been using an Olympus SP-350 until about April of last year when I purchased a Sony A100 for the wife so she can actually get pictures of the kids rather than just a blur. I've been playing with it the past couple weeks and wanted to get some opinions from some professionals.

Ron

A couple of panoramics I stitched together using autostitch

Astoria column, Astoria Oregon
    [​IMG]

Coast Guard Station Cape Disappointment, WA
    [​IMG]

View towards Astoria from the Cape Disappointment lighthouse
    [​IMG]

Because the road is what really matters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome. Nice series overall and NOT being a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but since you asked, IMO:

#1 - Would like to see more of the foreground. Also, the bike (with rider) in motion, rather then the helmet sitting at the rear wheel. Right side sky getting blown out.

#2 - This time I would have liked a bit more on the top. Roof of boathouse is cutoff. The haze on the right side is distracting.

#3 - The sign on the left adds nothing to the scene, the waterline is abruptly cutoff rather than the natural contours, and again the right side of the picture.

#4 - Great concept shot. The blur of the riders works well. Would have liked better if the immediate foreground had been in focus as well as the front of the bike. The sky is blown out.

#5, 6 & 9 - Not a fan of selective coloring.

#7 - Boring. You've got trees coming out of the tank as well as the one on the tail. Also the power lines. Nice bike, but find another location that is not so "busy".

#8 - For documenting memories of a road trip, I guess you could give a copy to your friends. Again, the right side of the photo. Is this coincidence, bad luck or an issue with your camera?

#10 - Good saturation of color. Would have changed my POV slightly to exclude that first large lightpole on "this side" of the water.

Keep on shooting with your new camera, have fun and keep in mind these are just my opinions.

3. RonRdRcr

RonRdRcr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #1 - Would like to see more of the foreground. Also, the bike (with rider) in motion, rather then the helmet sitting at the rear wheel. Right side sky getting blown out.

I would have loved to get a shot with the rider in motion, but seeing as I was the rider and all alone, that was not an option.

#2 - This time I would have liked a bit more on the top. Roof of boathouse is cutoff. The haze on the right side is distracting.

Problem with this one was I was on a boat and had some nice rocking going on. I stitched this from 51 photos and apparently didn't get enough into the sky over the white buildings so I cropped out what I could. I will be going back to get a lot more photos. Oh and the fog on the right was the rain coming in.

#10 - Good saturation of color. Would have changed my POV slightly to exclude that first large lightpole on "this side" of the water.

I was trying to get the best shot possible before the next storm surge came in. That side of water is actually a 6 lane road.

Thanks for your opinions. They will be in my considerations in the future

Ron

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a mixed blessing when someone looks at your photos. They must stand on their own merit without the benefit of a backstory.

I am curious on your panos. This is something I am wanting to attempt in the near future. What sort of stitching software are you using (especially with 51 photos).

One final thought. Keep working on DOF, focus and lighting with #4. This could turn into a spectacular shot.

5. RonRdRcr

RonRdRcr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit