Newbie with pictures of children

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by ashjamesgav, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ashjamesgav

ashjamesgav TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello all,

I'm not only a newbie to this forum, but also a newbie to owning a DSLR. I upgraded from a little Sony Cybershot, so there's a whole world of opportunity in front of me now. I bought a Canon 40D a little over a week ago, and am venturing onto the world of Manual Exposure, although I still have a long, long way to go. I am currently using... *GASP*... The kit lens. It's a 28-135, and I'm fine with it for now, until I can afford an upgrade. I'm using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 to edit the pictures, and I'm a newbie when it comes to that, too. I look up tutorials almost every single time I have to perform a new technique, and am learning that the possibilities with Photoshop are seemingly endless, so how to learn them all? Well, practice, I suppose!

Oh, also... I designed the logo last night, what do you think? It looks a little distorted because it's small (these are not originals of the photos, I'm on my laptop, these are from a website)... I just can't figure out how to add the logo in photoshop and make it so that there aren't those little specs around it once I save.

Anyways, with all of that in mind, I give you a couple of shots...

Any tips/advice welcome!

01. Gavyn (My son, he will be 2 in January)[​IMG]

02. Rachel[​IMG]

03. Tyler[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. El2

El2 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cute kids. Only c/c is I think they are a bit dark. You can up the exposure to make them brighter.

3. anastasiasa

anastasiasa TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cute lookin kids, and pictures do appear on the darker side. Better exposure, and maybe a better backgound than that wall.

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Ashley, welcome!

Here we go...

(don't forget, you asked for it :mrgreen:)

• None of the photos are in focus; in portraits, the eyes should be sharp as a tack.
    • Work on your framing/composition. In each of the photos you cut off the top of your kids' heads, not to mention their hands and feet.
    • Seeing the wall as the background just screams 'snapshot'. Nothing wrong with snapshots, but it sounds like you want to take it to the next level.
    • The flash is really harsh - see the shadow on the wall behind Tyler? The only way to fix this is either use an off-camera flash or, even better, learn to use natural lighting.
    • Looks like you've got at least three willing and cute subjects to work with. Keep practicing and show us more.
    Best of luck,

Jon

5. fabio_yamauti

fabio_yamauti TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The flash is casting shadows behind the children =(
    Like Jon said, I also prefer natural lighting but if it's necessary using the flash, then try to bounce it on the ceiling.

Fabio

6. kombizz

kombizz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You need to have a BETTER lighting much b4 KLIKING