1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kklo, Oct 18, 2008.

1. kklo

kklo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hello. im looking to buy a dslr and would like some comments. :]

im thinking nikon d80 with nikkor 18-200mm lens or canon xsi with canon 17-85mm lens.

im also interested in wide angle shots and macro photography. suggestions for lenses?

thanks in advanced.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

i wanna get into macro too. lens are too expensive atm. right now i just wanna know my camera.

advice from newbie to newbie. don't format your memory card till you've seen the transfered photos on your computer. i usually dont, but i did this time. now i can't get back the photos i took of the moon. it was so big. 3/4 and real low.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

It depends on your budget. I'm not a Canon person, so I can't really comment on the gear except to say that the Nikon 18-200 is a more versatile lens than the 17-85 by virtue of it's greater focal length and will cover the entire range from medium wide angle to extended telephoto. That said, it's a very 'Swiss Army' type of lens, and when you make something do too many things, it does none of them especially well. The 18-200 is a step up from most kit lenses, but that's about all it is. Neither of them do macro however. You can either by a separate macro lens, or close-up filters.