Ezylyf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Total Newbie Here
Hello everyone, totally new to this forum. Am an avid Kayak fisherman and belong to 3 fishing forums. That is why I joined this forum because I have experienced how fast you can learn from forums. The Kayak gives me many opportunities for outdoor photos and want to incorporate photography in with my fishing. Have been and still will use my Olympus Stylus waterproof camera, but want expand for some great shots.
So after extensive research I have purchased a Nikon D-90. I want to start out on the right foot so I know I will get the answers I need at this forum. Do not want to shoot professionally, just make a fun hobby out of it.

Questions....
Courses - Should I take courses at a junior college,etc.- Or take online courses.

Photo store where purchased from has a 3 hour intro course, this seems like a good place to start.

Camera came with a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18 - 105mm lens - will this lens be all I need or should I invest in others.

Want to print nice pictures - what type of printer should I have and whats the best photo paper.

Should I have a different photo program other than the one I have now which is Windows...

Thanks and looking forward to feedback, I am sure I will have dozens of more questions.

Have you purchased any software for post processing. I have an older version of photoshop elements 6 which only cost me around $120. You need some editing tools for cropping and adjustments and photoshop is a wonderful tool. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Questions....
Courses - Should I take courses at a junior college,etc.- Or take online courses. Courses would be good but if cost is a concern to you then a few books and some effort should teach you what you need to know. Get a copy of Understanding Exposure

Photo store where purchased from has a 3 hour intro course, this seems like a good place to start. My camera store does a similar course. You can learn a lot from them.

Camera came with a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18 - 105mm lens - will this lens be all I need or should I invest in others. For wildlife and nature 18mm should be plenty wide for landscapes but you might want some more range for wildlife. Maybe look at investing in a 70-300mm lens.

Want to print nice pictures - what type of printer should I have and whats the best photo paper. I have heard good things about Epson photo printers if you are looking to do it yourself. I personally don't print my photos. If I end up getting an amazing shot that I must print then I will have a photolab print it for me. If I am printing snapshots from vacation for family I will take them to CVS.

Should I have a different photo program other than the one I have now which is Windows... Yeah, you will probably want something. You can get copies of Adobe Photoshop Elements for cheap. I use Adobe Lightroom 2.2 and I love it. A free trial of Lightroom 3 Beta is available on their website. GIMP is a free editing software but I have no experience with it. Picasa is another program to check out.

Thanks and looking forward to feedback, I am sure I will have dozens of more questions.

Most reactions

Back