Newbie...

Munki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm completely new to photography and would like some advice. I had been thinking about getting into photography for a while, anyway I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300 a month ago and started to play around with it and really like it.

Here's two pictures I took, cropped and resolution lowered for the web...

sunset.jpg

feather.jpg

I know it's not going to get me very far if I start taking this really seriously but for now does anyone have any advice for me to get the most out of what I have?

Also are there any decent books out there that would be worth getting?

Thanks

Great start! Since you asked. Take a lot of photos! Try and always bring your camera with you. Note time of day and exposure. I have learned the most from history of photography books.

welcome to the forum!

nice shots, munki :)

The first shot, is that a lens flare on the right, or a 'sundog'?

I like the feathershot too, I would have cropped tighter on the bottom stem and given the tip of the the feather more breathing room. :)

Take a lot of photos! Try and always bring your camera with you. Note time of day and exposure.

yep I agree with craig. What I found though it helps having a nice camera, getting alot of practice in is what really matters.

Hope to see more stuff soon !

The first shot, is that a lens flare on the right, or a 'sundog'?

It is a sundog, that was the first day I got my camera and I went to the beach just before sunset. I'd never seen anything like it before so I had to take a picture of it.

Looking at the feather shot now I have to agree, I should have left more space above the feather.

Thanks for the comments, really appreciated. :D

Hoping to have some more pictures to post shortly.

So that is what it is called: a sun dog. Never knew that!
This board is teaching me more than just how to take nice photos! :D

the first shot has some neat cloud patterns but not much else. It doesn't stimulate the eyes or mind for more than a split second.

The second shot is a nice macro but nothing unique was added to the picture. Try to make it more interesting with the composition. You are off to a great start.

One piece of advice someone gave me once.... "the only difference between a good shot and a bad one is the number of shots in between"...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back