torvalupus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am interested in learning how to make better photos. Please suggest me a book and an internet course that you think it may help me to achieve that.

Thank you in advance.

Hi everyone,

I am interested in learning how to make better photos. Please suggest me a book and an internet course that you think it may help me to achieve that.

Thank you in advance.

Not to be rude but, the topic has been covered in multiple threads virtually every day. I would have thought anyone signing on to the forum would have at least looked at the forum first. Had you looked, you would have seen these threads. You might want to spend some time looking.

If you had looked - and seen, you would have known that your question is so broad as to be asking, "How do I become a better person?" Wherever you are at in a process, you apply a plan. Buying a book isn't a plan.

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance.

Not to be rude but, the topic has been covered in multiple threads virtually every day. I would have thought anyone signing on to the forum would have at least looked at the forum first. Had you looked, you would have seen these threads. You might want to spend some time looking.

If you had looked - and seen, you would have known that your question is so broad as to be asking, "How do I become a better person?" Wherever you are at in a process, you apply a plan. Buying a book isn't a plan.

Thank you for your kind assistance, your reply was a great help for me...

Welcome to the forum.
Are there specific things about photography that you want to improve or that you don't understand? I would suggest posting one or two of your photos and we can make suggestions to help you improve.

Welcome to the forum.
Are there specific things about photography that you want to improve or that you don't understand? I would suggest posting one or two of your photos and we can make suggestions to help you improve.
DSC_0148.JPG
DSC_0984.JPG

To me, the first one looks like a combination of missed focus and a shallow depth of field. The plants behind the horse seem to be more in focus (though they aren't).

On the second one, I think the 1/200 sec just isn't fast enough to stop the motion.

I'm not trying to be mean, but do you know enough about exposure to try aperture or shutter speed priority instead of the sports scene mode? If not, you'd probably do a whole better learning how aperture, shutter speed and ISO interact, then building from there.

I think you did fine on timing; you just need to conquer the technical things. I don't think the motocross isn't that bad, though a portrait crop might work a little better.

To me, the first one looks like a combination of missed focus and a shallow depth of field. The plants behind the horse seem to be more in focus (though they aren't).

On the second one, I think the 1/200 sec just isn't fast enough to stop the motion.

I'm not trying to be mean, but do you know enough about exposure to try aperture or shutter speed priority instead of the sports scene mode? If not, you'd probably do a whole better learning how aperture, shutter speed and ISO interact, then building from there.

I think you did fine on timing; you just need to conquer the technical things. I don't think the motocross isn't that bad, though a portrait crop might work a little better.

Thank you Charlie for your feedback.
You are obviously correct, I have minimal knowledge about any technical issues in photography. That is why I was thinking to do an internet course as a fast solution in learning how to control my dslr better.

There are a number of online courses available. I have a bias towards one at the site in my signature, but it by no means the only one or the best one.

I followed snowbear's link to morgueFile and went to the Classroom tab. I only went through part of the first lesson but it was well done and interesting. May be worth your time to go through it.
Both of the photos are out of focus but as mentioned the framing and subject matter is good and that's the hard part.

That first picture looks like you had the camera aimed where you wanted to take the picture, then tripped the shutter as the horse moved in. That's why the focus is wrong. Always follow your subject in the viewfinder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back