cruiseline47

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi
my name is lynn, and i have just joined the forum, i am married to dave, and it will be our golden wedding anniverasry in dec, and hoping to cruise the caribbean. i have just realised that you are based in america, and i am in england. do hope i am not intruding on your forum. i love taking pics, i am only a novice. i am about to buy a camera ( just sold my nikon) but i do not know wether to buy a fixed lense or a interchangable. my nikon only had a lense of 18-55 it was not close enough. please could someone give me some advise. thank you all. lynn.

Welcome to the site Lynn. We have people from all over, so it's no intrusion. Your questions about what camera to get invite us to ask you some more questions, like what is your budget? Is your primary use going to be landscape, portrait, etc.?

I know that you said your Nikon with the 18-55mm wasn't close enough, was it a dslr with interchangeable lenses? If so, why didn't you just add an additional lens like a 70-200 or 70-300 to your kit?

hi Ron, if i may call you Ron. yes, i had thought about adding another lens, but it would have taken my expense more than i would have like. i sold my nikon and have seen a camera with a lens 75-300 and 18-55. the camera is a CANON EOS REBEL T3 1100D. it is on ebay. the price is £269 .95. is it a good camera. i have also been looking a t panasonic lumix. also is it good to have the lcd screen to move ( tilt) etc. there is a LUMIX which as a lens 25.600mm. but it is fixed. i will be taking pics when i am out walking, scenery, flowers etc. like i said i am only ametuer!!!!! many thanks Ron.

The Rebel T3 is an older model, I think they are up to the T-6i or T-7 now, but the 18-55 and 75-300 will give you a lot of options and range. I am not familiar with the Lumix.

.. i do not know wether to buy a fixed lense or a interchangable.
Hi, and welcome!

A bit more information would help. What kind of photography are you interested in? For most people, taking snapshots with their mobile is quite satisfactory, while others like to try different things.

For an upcoming cruise, are you planning on gorgeous landscapes that you can print large to hang on the wall? Do you prefer to keep your camera equipment to a minimum in size and cost? When you write; "not close enough", does that mean you like to take photos of very small subjects up close?

hi designer
yes i will take sunrises and sunsets. also landscapes. what i meant by not close enough, is that when i zoom in, yes the subjects do not come close enough, small subjects i can get close, but if it is, say, scenery and i want to come in close, well its not close enough, sorry if i sound confusing.

what does one think of Canon EOS 40D. 17-85 and 55,250 lenses. £250 great condition. thankyou

what i meant by not close enough, is that when i zoom in,
Thank you for that clarification. What you want is a "long lens" (telephoto) meaning a fairly long focal length, which I would start at 200mm and longer if you can afford it. So the 55mm- 250mm lens that you referenced above would fit that category, but at some point in the future you might consider even longer, say 300mm or if you're into birding, then longer yet.

One issue with telephoto lenses is that very minute camera movement (shaky hands, etc.) will make your subject blurry. Birders often use a tripod to hold the camera and lens steady, especially when shooting with a 500mm lens, for instance. Practicing good camera holding techniques is a must for long lenses. You can also use some homemade and adaptive devices to help as well. Lots of technique learning sites on the internet.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about Canon gear, sorry.

As for sunsets and sunrises, be ready to use long shutter speeds, which means using a tripod. For traveling, I suggest one of those little twisty/grabby tripods that you can carry in a knapsack.

Flexible Portable Tripods | GorillaPod Tripods | JOBY.com

Welcome to the forum! As an American, I can say we love our friends across the pond and love even more the beautiful photos you can share with us. One thing I have learned is this: buy the best equipment your budget will allow because as you get familiar with it, you will only want to get better and go deeper into the hobby! Looking forward to photos from your Caribbean cruise as well as your local scenery. My other half is from Sheffield.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back