Newborn Photography Tips?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put my ISO past 400 myself. I have the 40D and 30D and the noise is too much. I wouldn't bother bringing a tripod you need to move and get different angles really quick sometimes. But if you can off camera flash and extra lighting you will be set. The bean bad idea is great but I tend to use what is available and I also have a couple of boppys that help. But these are left over from my own kids so buying more may not be a option for you. As far as the background black fleece is cheap but if you can get velvet is is awesome for this.

Oh thanks guys! And now how do you hang this material? Did you buy or build something? Can it just be hung over a picture, counter etc. what ever is available?
I may go buy some cheap material for Thursdays shots with the parents....
I just got back from the newborn only shots, will post a few of what I got :) once I PP.

Don't start at ISO 1600 for the life of you. I would start at 200 and go up if needed.

What do you mean blackened out background? If I understand you correctly get a black blanket and you can burn out any dust/fuzz later. I also just use the same blanket (well, usually I have two say that way one does not have a streakage of yellow waste across it) to prop up and use as a blackened background to get something like this:
2622988420_159239c294.jpg

Regarding lighting I use natural light for baby only (at least right now) I just prop them up close to a window. For the parents/baby shot (like the one above) I used a single studio light with a softbox. It is a little harsh regarding light/shadows but it worked well enough.

Best of luck!

How in the world do you get a photo that sharp? Guess it's because you had a studio light?
Thinking I should bring mine on Thursday when I shoot the parents with baby?!

I recommend white noise and a toasty warm room!
Also, re: the cloth diaper thing... cute diaper covers can go right over the disposables. :)

Ok I guess its not called a natural studio light but its a studio light that emits natural-like light.
I wonder should I use that instead of trying to bounce flash (they have very high ceilings) or just stick with the natural light from a window etc.
My favorite cheap toy is the Omnibounce or, you can make one from a piece of photopaper.

You really don't need extra light IF u have a space near open windows that allow a great amount of light in. Preferably morning sun. I also use a bean bag covered with a solid color blanket. Also with newborns and babies in general it's the one time in their life where a tight crop of the face works well. For girls I like to lay them ontheir tummy then use a nice satin ribbon around theoir bellies and tied into a bow on their back.... Like h
they are a little present.

Well this topic seems to have made a turn to some sales pitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back