Newborn who ran the show

misol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a recent shoot of a 10 day old baby. She ate nearly the entire time, I think we got most of the shots in about 10 minutes time. But it was fun and the family seemed pleased. Its been a while and no order, but they have been looking at them every day in my gallery, so I think one will come in soon. its hard with a new baby!

Any C&C is welcome (I know stripes are a no-no but its really not something that bothers me, I am very much into letting people wear what ever they like. I give them the basics and let them decide)

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

I think you vignette too much.... JUST KIDDING (this was said of my shots in a recent post, except it is likely true... lol)

Honestly, there is not much to CC about these shots, so the only CC that I could offer could come out sounding like nit picking... becuase there is nothing to really CC. Your shots are nicely composed, saturated and beautifully sharpened just right.

Clothing is easy to be either something that adds or takes away from a picture and in this case, all the clothes of the child, father and mother detract from the ultimate quality of the shot a very small amount. That said, it could be the way they perceive themselves and in their eyes adds to the desirability of the shot, so thats a wash. :)

The one part that I am not too fond of is the cropping. In the first three, it's right into what I consider important parts of the shot, and if placed in a picture frame, gets even a little more pronounced.

I never shot babies this young, and I am sure it is both challenging and a blast... the star of the show always has to take breaks for meals and potty breaks... and those eyes... just wow.

Well done, I know I could not do near as well without a LOT of practicing. :D

Thanks ...I know I love a good vignette! LOL told you I was a fan

Cropping is an interesting topic. I know the principals of cropping. BUT...I don't care ;). Well, I do but I guess its my style. I guess people who hire my know I shoot super close in. I try to make sure my crops are flattering, but in general, cut limbs are not. I know some of my pics are pushing it on the crops a little. I guess for me its about taking chances. But for sure I will be looking into my cropping and asking for further direction. Its always good to get a second set of eyes.

Thanks for your time!

oh, and I leave it 4x6 type to be able to crop to an 8x10. But if you want to do some crops for me, I would love to see your perspective.

The first one is the best for me... good job.

Clothing is easy to be either something that adds or takes away from a picture and in this case, all the clothes of the child, father and mother detract from the ultimate quality of the shot a very small amount.

Ummm... you're so nice, Jerry.

Don't ya think in the second view the clothing is stealing the show? I think it's a nice moment with mom and baby, but all I see is clothing. I have to look for faces here.

misol... you say you're "very much into letting people wear what ever they like." At some point, as the professional... as the one making the images... I think you have to take control of the composition. I'm not suggesting you become an unyielding tyrant. I think you owe it to your customers to educate them and help them prepare for a successful portrait. If you can get them to dress as you direct for at least some of the session, they'll see the results and be very grateful.

I do love that first one! It's hard to stop looking into those eyes.

-Pete

Ummm... you're so nice, Jerry.

Don't ya think in the second view the clothing is stealing the show? I think it's a nice moment with mom and baby, but all I see is clothing. I have to look for faces here.

Yes, I agree, Pete, but my point is that possibly (I'm reaching here and know it... lol), that cute stripped set the baby is wearing came from grandma Jane, who just passed away... and every time they see that picture, they're reminded of her, hence that picture may mean much to them... so I was kinda thinking that angle. :)

I would say that when it comes to portraiture, a couple of rules to always suggest to the clients are:

- try to avoid very tight restrictive clothing ("sexy" stuff aside... lol)
- try to avoid short sleeves
- try to avoid wild colours
- try to avoid shorts or capris
- try to avoid clothing that is bright or has bold patterns(clean white shirts exempt from the bright stuff)

This is for the adults. For the babies, I would just say that the rule of "try to avoid clothing that is bright or has bold patterns" is the only one that is a good idea.

Ya know, I do let them know the basics about clothing but then I tell them it is up to them. I dont see stripes and no faces at all. No one else I have shown does. I think its old fashioned to have the ridged clothing rules. Modern families are really looking to separate from the sears portraits of their childhood and clothing is much more anything goes. i am with that school of thought as well. You are welcome to your opinion and I appreciate the time you took to offer it. But I have to argue that there is another way.

possibly... that cute stripped set the baby is wearing came from grandma Jane, who just passed away... and every time they see that picture, they're reminded of her, hence that picture may mean much to them.

Oh, absolutely. What I'm saying is this sort of situation needs careful handling. When this happens, key the background with the clothing.

when it comes to portraiture, a couple of rules to always suggest to the clients are...for the adults. For the babies, I would just say that the rule of "try to avoid clothing that is bright or has bold patterns" is the only one that is a good idea.

Again, yes... especially in a group with adults. I typically suggest that babies be dressed in lighter tones lest they be lost in the image due to their wee size.

I think we're "on the same page."

-Pete

I dont see stripes and no faces at all.

Look at that one again. Gradually begin to quint your eyes a bit. See it now?

I think its old fashioned to have the ridged clothing rules.

I'm not suggesting any "rigid rules." I'm saying the photographer, the one making the portrait, should be in command of all elements of the composition. If the client makes all these decisions, then we're merely "taking pictures"... like they do at Sears.

Ya know, I do let them know the basics about clothing...

...clothing is much more anything goes. i am with that school of thought as well.

Well which is it? You're telling them how you'd like them to prepare, but you don't agree with what you tell them?

Making portraits that are "different" is not enough. We should be making GOOD portraits that different. And what's different? It's all pretty much been done before.

I'm not looking for an argument. I was just trying to be helpful.

-Pete

Very precious :) You captured a lot of great emotions. Really young children are incredibly hard to photograph, at least you got a lot of parent interaction too. I have to pose them on a little posing box and stuff at my job, and they just look unnatural and awkward. These are wonderful :) I'm sure the parents gushed when they saw them!

these are cute snapshots. =) I wouldn't consider any of them "professional" except maybe the first one, but I'd try it as a BW.

For a little CC...I have to agree with Pete about the clothing...I had to look twice to notice the faces...and when I did, I also noticed that your skin tones are inconsistent. Some are more orangish and some more magenta.

Here's my clothing suggestion (FOR BABIES ONLY :lol:) Go nude! Little naked babies are just so adorable. I love their baby fat and their little wrinkles! Just watch out for their unavoidable leaking!

I think these are very nice. The first one stands out as my fave of the series. The others all have partial baby faces. That first one is all eyes and they are beautiful!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back