Newby question...

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When people say they took a picture using their "softbox", do they mean the big box things that are on stands (like in a studio) or something that attaches to their flash?? Thanks.

When people say they took a picture using their "softbox", do they mean the big box things that are on stands (like in a studio) or something that attaches to their flash?? Thanks.

Yes.

Ok seriously. It can be both. A softbox is just a light modifier. They are made for both studio strobes and portable strobes. Just depends on what they are using.

I promise I googled it before I asked the question. I hate to bother you all with questions I can answer with a simple search, but even after "googling" mostly what I found were the large studio type soft boxes, but I've been noticing that some people will say "here are some pictures I took with my new soft box" but it doesn't look like they are necessarily in a "studio". More like a picture in their kitchen, etc. I DID see a "mini soft box" for attaching on the camera flash (I THINK that was what it was for) and I was curious if people just say "here are some pictures I took with my new soft box" and this is really what they are talking about. Thanks anyway for your reply.

the softboxes that people used on here are mostly DIY and they show how it came out. It was probably used with it off camera (I wouldn't want a softbox on top of my camera ;D)

(I wouldn't want a softbox on top of my camera ;D)

That's what I was thinking! It is obnoxious enough to have the grip and big 'ol camera, but add a grey L-series lens, external flash and a SOFT BOX!! Seems kind of ridiculous, but when I see the pictures where people say they use a soft box and they look like they aren't in a studio, I am imagining this sight. Ok, they are probably just trying out their newly created DIY large softbox.

If any of you DO use an on-camera soft box and want to let me know that I'm all wrong in my vision of how this looks, please chime in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back