Newby Question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Henrix123, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Henrix123

Henrix123 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have read how taking pictures of the sunlight will damage your camera. I took one picture of the sun when I first got it (week ago) should I have it looked at to make sure it is ok that way I dont use a crap camera from now on or should I not worry about it? Camera is a D90

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Don't worry about it. It hasn't hurt my D90 any. Read the cautions in the front of your manual again (pg. xiv), a bit more carefully this time. While you're at it, go ahead and read the rest of the manual again.

Any daytime pictures are pictures of the sunlight. Reflected sunlight anyway.

Camera makers put a caution in the front of their users manuals saying not to look at the sun through the viewfinder for long because it can damage your eye. AND/OR, the sun shining through the camera, lens and out the viewfinder can focus the light sufficiently to start a fire.

It can also heat up a lens pretty quick if left pointing at the Sun.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, yes ... too much exposure to your eye is not good.

The direct sunlight going through your lens, bouncing off the mirror, into the prism should not damage the camera.

Possibly if you have LiveView it may have some affect on the sensor ... though I would think that you would have to be pointing at the sun for a long time.