Newcomer needs advice on tripod

NickD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm looking for a tripod/tripod head that will last for some years. I don't want to spend money on something that will be broke in 6 months.

For the tripod head, I was looking at these models :

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 468MGRC4 Magnesium Hydrostatic Ballheadhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._468MGRC4_Magnesium_Hydrostatic_Ballhead.html

or

Gitzo GH2780 Center Ballhead

Why would I want a ballhead over a 3-way pan head ? Because Kelby's said so ! No, honestly, I think it will better fits my needs.

For the tripod, I was looking at these models :

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 055XPROB Tripod Legs

or

Gitzo tripods are way too expensive ..

Any help/advices ?

Thank you !

3 way pan is more precise --- three separate knobs control each axis.
Ball head is faster -- a single knob or lever controls all axis.

In order to give specific advice, people will need to know the heaviest equipment that will be supported. You should also consider the following:

1) Price
2) Stability
3) Weight

Of the three.. which TWO are important.

With that said.... I have yet to see any tripod from Manfrotto/Bogen that has disappointed (assuming you picked properly).

In order to give specific advice, people will need to know the heaviest equipment that will be supported

I don't own any heavy lens right now, but I plan to buy a 70-200mm in the near future. My camera is a Canon XSi. Right now, I use my kit lens which is really small and light.

The price and stability would be the important point.

Last edited:
What would be the difference between a 150$ tripod and a 500$ one ? Stability ? Ease of use ?

What would be the difference between a 150$ tripod and a 500$ one ? Stability ? Ease of use ?

Remember my question; 1) price 2) stability, 3) weight?

A $150 tripod will do either be stable and heavy or not as stable and lightweight. This is because it is low priced. (price + stability) or (price + light weight)

A $500 tripod will be both stable and lightweight....

Tripod are one place that you can buy used with little worry:

Bogen 3001/3011 series.. very popular model (similar model is still available new). Can last a lifetime.

3011N Bogen 3011 Tripod W/o Head

Paired with a ball head like this:

488RC2 Manfrotto Midi Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect - Supports 17.6 lbs

or 3way like this

804RC2 Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with Quick Release - Supports 8.8 lbs

I have an old 3011 + 3 way pan.

Tripods are available for different uses--backpackers like Thom Hogan like carbon fiber,compact tripods that are small when collapsed, light in weight,and also very stable. Studio shooters don't need, or generally want a 3-section or 4-section tripod because it's too fiddly to lock and unlock so many leg locks to set up for a shot.

I looked at the Bogen Imaging 055XPROB you were looking at. It has a lot of leg sections, which is something I do not like--I prefer a much heavier tripod with only two-section legs. I don't want a 4.9 pound tripod leg set--I want a leg set that is much,much heavier.

You haven't told us anything about your needs. If you want a tripod for close-to-the-car use it would be an entirely different tripod than one you would be backpacking with. I'm not a fan of 4-section legs, but that's just me.

I found that a heavy tripod will get left in a closet a lot more often than a lightweight one. That's just my preference, but I like a tripod that I can travel with or bring on a hike. I had a tripod that weighed around 8lb's, and it was just a bit much for lugging up a steep trail. I also brought it on a couple trips with me, and it was just a pain in the neck.

Well, I would like to have something that I can attach to a backpack while snowshoeing or that I can bring with me in the bus without hurting anyone.

Thanks a lot for your advices and help !

Great thread. I am looking into a tripod so I will keep an eye on this thread.

Tripod are one place that you can buy used with little worry:

Bogen 3001/3011 series.. very popular model (similar model is still available new). Can last a lifetime.

3011N Bogen 3011 Tripod W/o Head

Paired with a ball head like this:

488RC2 Manfrotto Midi Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect - Supports 17.6 lbs

or 3way like this

804RC2 Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with Quick Release - Supports 8.8 lbs

I have an old 3011 + 3 way pan.

To use this as an example. If I were to buy, I would need the Bogen 3011 plus either of the two heads, anything else I need to buy?

To use this as an example. If I were to buy, I would need the Bogen 3011 plus either of the two heads, anything else I need to buy?

tripod itself generally consists of legs and a head. That's all is really needed. However, there are "accessories" that you can purchase to go along... straps... replacement feet, level attachment.. I personally found most of that stuff unnecessary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back