Newer than new-suggestions where to start

JenDeshler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone!! I've always had an interest in photography, but am just starting to actually learn the information and practice some shots. It's very overwelming!! Currently I have a point and shoot (*yes I know...sigh) but I've been drooling over the d90 and am saving for it...soon, very soon that hot little camera will be in my hands;)
How did you guys learn everything? A book? A course? A degree? Just jump in and figure it out? Composition,aperture, f stop huh? Thanks for any advice:)

Get yourself the book Understanding Exposure, to prepare yourself for your d90.
You can probably do a little manual control of your point and shoot too.

Look for books on composition while using your P&S, because you can practice it now. Great pics can be made with a P&S.

Jumped in an firgured it out. Although I'm still lost as can be. I have a D90 as well, It is an awesome camera, but really confusing at first. lol

I concur with Bitter here. Understanding Exposure will get you the basics of exposure, and how ISO, Aperture and Shutter interact and work with each other. Besides that, there's tons of websites you can learn from. The best way I've found to learn is have people critique your photos, and start critiquing others photos. You say you have a point and shoot, there's no reason you can't start shooting with that now, and post what you get. Learn some basics of composition, and see what you can come up with. Also, when you do post photos, understand that negative critique is a good thing as it helps you learn what you are doing wrong. Don't be discouraged by it. People are only doing it to help.

How did you guys learn everything? A book? A course? A degree? Just jump in and figure it out? Composition,aperture, f stop huh? Thanks for any advice:)
I don't think anyone could honestly say they have learned everything. There is always something new to learn. Books work, classes work, but there's no better way than personal experience or as you say "just jump in and figure it out. There are a several references that many here recommend reading to help get you started. There is knowledge in the forums here (learn to weed through the crap and you'll find a gem or two) Once you get your camera the learning really starts. Have fun.

Thank you!! I'm going to look that book up right now. I do have a couple pics I will post when I'm not on my iPod.

Get yourself the book Understanding Exposure, to prepare yourself for your d90.
You can probably do a little manual control of your point and shoot too.

Look for books on composition while using your P&S, because you can practice it now. Great pics can be made with a P&S.
#Another $10 in the bank :lol:

I concur with Bitter here. Understanding Exposure will get you the basics of exposure, and how ISO, Aperture and Shutter interact and work with each other. Besides that, there's tons of websites you can learn from. The best way I've found to learn is have people critique your photos, and start critiquing others photos. You say you have a point and shoot, there's no reason you can't start shooting with that now, and post what you get. Learn some basics of composition, and see what you can come up with. Also, when you do post photos, understand that negative critique is a good thing as it helps you learn what you are doing wrong. Don't be discouraged by it. People are only doing it to help.
]]

youn only get $5 because Bitter recommended first

]]

youn only get $5 because Bitter recommended first

Huh??

Jen you're going to love the D90. I read up on DSLR's and things like aperture, ISO, DOF, and shutter speed before I even purchased my camera. I looooove message boards. I'm a member of many message boards pertaining to the things that I love like music and perfume. This site, in particular, has taught me soooo much.

I encourage you to read your manual thoroughly. I got my D90 in May and I'm still learning things from my manual. I learned alot from being on here and reading different in depth reviews, but nothing beats your manual. This camera can do so many different things that it'll make your head spin, but it can also frustrate you if you don't have a basic understanding of DSLR photography to begin with. So read, read, read until you get your camera. You can even find the D90 manual online. You can read through that while you're saving up.

I had one of those so called advance p&s cameras. You could choose sceen modes and different preprogrammed aperture settings. It could do many things. Like most, I didn't take the time to read my manual and very rarely used the many options I had. This wasn't a big deal. Dropping $800 to $1300 on a camera to leave it in auto is a big deal. I promised myself that if I spend this much on a camera I was gonna make sure I knew what every button and screen option does. Practice with your p&s and read all you can find.

All of the above.

Books, online, videos, tutorials, forums, classes, trial and error.

Shutter speed, aperture, ISO, exposure compensation, panning, landscape mode, portrait mode, camera bags, and tripods.

Then you go after learning how to use light, pose people, drag the shutter, lighting ratios, ambient/flash, speedlights, monoblocs, strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, snoots, scrims, diffusers, gobo's, flags, barn doors, and hot lights.

Today, in addition to all the camera stuff, you have to learn all the post processing stuff from how to do image editing, to understanding color theory, color spaces, image and data file formats, aspect ratios, copyrights, model releases, how much RAM your computer can hold, which version of Adobe Camera Raw will work with which version of Adobe's Creative Suite, to how you calibrate an IPS monitor or how to use printer ICC profiles to soft-proof before you order/or make prints.

That's it. I'm done for the night and it's way past my normal bedtime.

Here's hoping everyone has a great 2010! :D:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back