Newer to photography, Even newer to the forum

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I have been browsing this forum and it seems like it stays active and has a lot of information. So I decided to join. I really like to take candid pictures. Black and whites are my favorite.

On a recent trip to the beach, I took my moms SLR camera around and shot a few pictures. This was my first time I have used a SLR and I loved it. Now it is time for me to buy one. I have been leaning toward the Nikon D60 (its about the only one in my price range, $550 at best buy). I would just like a little input on this camera. I am real new to anything greater than a point and shoot, but I am really interested in seeing what I could do with a better camera.

Having a camera with no delay is what I mostly need. My friends and I do a lot of wakeboarding. I need the picture taken when I press the button. And an "action" mode, for lack of better word, is what I would really like. That way I could take several quick pictures and pick the one that looks best.

Here are a few pictures of the beach. They were all taken with a 6mp FugiFilm camera. I haven't a clue about the rest of the camera lol. I looks forward to seeing what this forum has to offer.

5732_135754379383_500269383_3255515_1144003_n.jpg

5732_135755374383_500269383_3255536_2476506_n.jpg

5732_135864149383_500269383_3256993_4287106_n.jpg

5732_135864189383_500269383_3257001_7537157_n.jpg

5732_135754374383_500269383_3255514_5485184_n.jpg

Last edited:
hey bro hows it goin'?

Im going to throw some ideas at you re the photos themselves and perhaps someone else can help you on what camera to get because im not so clued up on that stuff ;)

ok so the biggest thing that stands out is that in the black and white shots there is very little contrast and you've mostly got mid-range greys and you're starting to get peaked out whites (peaked out as in almost pure white which is something to avoid). such low contrast (especially in black and white) closes the subject up against the background and you lose depth in the shot. now im not sure if you have done anything to the image after the fact, if you havnt, try pulling blacks out in photoshop (or similar software). My suggestion based on these shots is to under-expose a little so you get a better balanced image. And keep practicing, all it really takes is persistance.

hope this has helped a lil' my apologies for the awkward explanation!

good luck :)
-J

I would have the money and get a D40, and spend the difference on a lens.

The only difference between the D40 and D60 is a few megapixels (and if you look around here, megapixels unless there is a HUGE difference, arent all to important) and the D40 has a flash sync twice as fast, you may not need it, but its a nice feature to have!
If you dont know anything about manual controlls, and all you need is a camera that shoots the instant you push the button, youll love ANY digital SLR, and save yourself a LOT of money.

I would have the money and get a D40, and spend the difference on a lens.

The only difference between the D40 and D60 is a few megapixels (and if you look around here, megapixels unless there is a HUGE difference, arent all to important) and the D40 has a flash sync twice as fast, you may not need it, but its a nice feature to have!
If you dont know anything about manual controlls, and all you need is a camera that shoots the instant you push the button, youll love ANY digital SLR, and save yourself a LOT of money.
The D60 also comes with a better kit lens and auto detection to turn off the LCD screen when you bring the camera to your face (nice feature in the dark).

Thanks for the input everyone. I currently don't have any editing software so I just changed the color pictures to black and white with some cheap thing on the computer. I see what you mean about the photos not having any depth.

I use Elements and Topaz plug ins and thats all I need to do good post production editing.

Thanks for the quick input. Now let me ask something else...

D60 vs. D5000

The D90 is way out of price range. I hear a lot about a D80 but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for the quick input. Now let me ask something else...

D60 vs. D5000
There's a $200 price difference between those two ($250 if you include the $50 instant rebate).

What about the D3000?

Ok, I see what you mean. So what about the D3000 vs. D60. It is hard for a beginner like me to see much difference.

Ok, I see what you mean. So what about the D3000 vs. D60. It is hard for a beginner like me to see much difference.
I'd go with the D3000 since it's using newer technology. The D60 was introduced about 20 months ago. I think the D3000 is going to replace the D40 and D60 as Nikon's entry level DSLR.

Thanks, as far as I can tell the D3000 will not be out until the end of this month. I am still considering the D5k. I think I could go up to that price. If the wife would let me. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back