Newest Card

I had Inkscape at one time because I was looking for a vector program but deleted it. It seemed very complicated, not that I wouldn't be willing to learn.

And here is the problem. "It seemed very complicated", yes, yes it is. "...not that I wouldn't be willing to learn", but you didn't. You deleted it, and found an "easier" way!!!!
So much for self driven learning!

Think long and hard about what that says. Apply that to the future that, ultimately, YOU are in control of.

DGMPhotography said:
but I realize now I have a lot to learn.

You're on the right track with that statement. There are plenty of members here you can teach you quite a bit about design. I'm not one of them though. :lmao:

I'll stick to my picture taking.

Portrait orientation:

$D7CardVertical.jpg

Last edited:
I had Inkscape at one time because I was looking for a vector program but deleted it. It seemed very complicated, not that I wouldn't be willing to learn.

And here is the problem. "It seemed very complicated", yes, yes it is. "...not that I wouldn't be willing to learn", but you didn't. You deleted it, and found an "easier" way!!!!
So much for self driven learning!

Think long and hard about what that says. Apply that to the future that, ultimately, YOU are in control of.

Well I like Photoshop, and it's something I'm experienced with. But I don't know for sure if using that program will be detrimental to me, I suppose I shall find out.

Is it detrimental to learn to use as many tools as you can, to get the job done?
Or is it detrimental to stick with one tool, that doesn't do everything you will need it to?

Is it detrimental to learn to use as many tools as you can, to get the job done?

No, but alas, as a college student involved in many different organizations, classes, etc. I don't have a lot of free time :/

Well, that sort of depends on who your peers are, and that isn't a choice YOU get to make. You have, by labeling yourself a designer, taken upon yourself a title that many use. Not just people you know, but people world wide. You have appointed yourself into that position. Your work, when presented will be judged according to its merit. Not the lack of merit you might see around you. I can call myself any number of things, that doesn't make me one. I am fully ordained (legally) to perform wedding ceremonies, that does not make me a man of god.

Well, that sort of depends on who your peers are, and that isn't a choice YOU get to make. You have, by labeling yourself a designer, taken upon yourself a title that many use. Not just people you know, but people world wide. You have appointed yourself into that position. Your work, when presented will be judged according to its merit. Not the lack of merit you might see around you. I can call myself any number of things, that doesn't make me one. I am fully ordained (legally) to perform wedding ceremonies, that does not make me a man of god.

Yes, I know. But my target market right now is mostly my peers xD

What I am saying is that your "peers" (you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means) have no bearing here. You aren't presenting your images here for their critique, you are presenting them to the members here.

The bottom line is this: You have admitted to having ZERO formal training in graphic design. You have had people with experience offer you advice. You have chosen to get snarky instead of listening to said advice because they weren't nice and cuddly about the way they said it. If you won't take the advice offered, why should people keep offering advice?

I have had some (admittedly not as much as I could have) some training and experience in graphic design. You NEED to learn the fundamentals before you can hang out your shingle. It's not like slopping paint on a canvas and calling it art. There are technical issues you need to be aware of, like vector vs raster, color pallets, file formats for printing, etc. It's like buying a DLSR and then deciding you want to do wedding photography... sure you can do it, at least once or twice. Then word will spread that you don't know your stuff and you will be tarnished forever. If you start taking on clients without knowing even the fundamentals you are just hurting yourself in the long run. Worry less about a business card and more about learning your chosen trade. When you know your trade you wont have to ask anybody for an opinion on your business card

What I am saying is that your "peers" (you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means) have no bearing here. You aren't presenting your images here for their critique, you are presenting them to the members here.

The bottom line is this: You have admitted to having ZERO formal training in graphic design. You have had people with experience offer you advice. You have chosen to get snarky instead of listening to said advice because they weren't nice and cuddly about the way they said it. If you won't take the advice offered, why should people keep offering advice?

I have had some (admittedly not as much as I could have) some training and experience in graphic design. You NEED to learn the fundamentals before you can hang out your shingle. It's not like slopping paint on a canvas and calling it art. There are technical issues you need to be aware of, like vector vs raster, color pallets, file formats for printing, etc. It's like buying a DLSR and then deciding you want to do wedding photography... sure you can do it, at least once or twice. Then word will spread that you don't know your stuff and you will be tarnished forever. If you start taking on clients without knowing even the fundamentals you are just hurting yourself in the long run. Worry less about a business card and more about learning your chosen trade. When you know your trade you wont have to ask anybody for an opinion on your business card

Thanks zombiemann.

I wouldn't be able to stretch the subtitle beneath it to match it

What?? I didn't stretch it, just added extra spaced between the letters..

Note, I am using VistaPrint to print my card - they don't support SVG files, what file format from Inkscape should I use that Vistaprint will accept?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back