news photography?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Judd, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Judd

Judd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was on Craigslist looking for a job and ran across this ad looking for news photographers. It is obviously an attempt to get you to pay $25 annually to get access to the "juicy" info.

Has anyone done this? Is there any money to be made? I live just outside Atlanta. Right now I am jobless so any money would be worth it.

http://www.newsphotobiz.com/

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know if there is money in it in the US. But I've done some work for a newspaper in Holland. Here they mostly employ only a few photographers, use a lot of archive material and use pictures send by the public. So no money there. The employed photographers got about 50 euro's per printed picture. Once the picture got printed it became a archive photo and could be placed freely again and again and again.....
    I found it very hard to just enter random pictures, because the journalist had to make a story around it and did not always have the means to do it. The employed photographers just got assignments. Never made their own shots.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Of the 3 major types of photography: retail, commercial, editorial;

editorial (news) pays the least.

The web site has a couple of valuable links that are free:
    • Copyright 101
    • Rights and Usage 101.
    At something like a car crash the first free camera phone shot they get is usually what gets printed and credited as a 'Contributed Photo', which means the paper didn't have to pay for it.

4. henkelphoto

henkelphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've skimmed over some of the blog entries and there is some credible information for beginning/budding "news photographers". If you have a spare $25 and you know next to nothing about news/editorial photography, go ahead and join up for the "special" one-year membership. I wouldn't do it for the "normal" $25/month.

Bear in mind, in today's market, there is very, very little money to be made chasing ambulances or running down vicious animal attacks. Anything of importance, i.e. presidential visits, police standoffs, etc, will be off-limits for anyone without a real media credential from an accredited newspaper or internet site, heck in most cases, they are off-limits anyway.

The only real way to make money as a freelancer today is to get connected with a website, newspaper or wire service and get assignments from those people. Of course there are many people looking to do the same thing so be prepared to compete against some really good photographers, including those recently laid off by newspaper staff reductions. There is some money to be made in celebrity sightings, but you need to be in a city where these happen regularly (i.e. Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York), to get any regular income from this.

Jerry