News Photography

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
I have just joined up with my local news website as a photographer "Cheif Photographer" to be exact, lol. And i am quite new to the whole news scene so wondered if there were any other news photographers out there whom had some tips for me to improve my photos, if theres certain ways to photo things and position objects and people. Anyone?

Heavy question. I never heard of news photography... Photojournalism... is a life long pursuit. Arguably; the trick is to get the viewer interested. Your photo will break up a sea of text. Your photo needs to capture the reader and (with any kind of luck) tell the most important part of the story.

I shoot for a local paper. And most folks do call it photojournalism, although news photography is just as correct in my opinion. Basically, remember that the subject is the photo, not fancy techniques. The public wants to see the story visually, not interpret a modern art painting wanna be photo. You get to play with technique when you do illustration photos.

Oh, and cute kids bring in the most reprint requests.

Best of luck to you!

I recommend that you read up on it a bit. A book called 'Photojournalism: The Professional's Approach' is fantastic. It's got loads of advice and techniques, along with case studies and examples. Unfortunately I can't remember the author, but see if you can find it on Google.

Make sure you're up-to-date on your knowledge of ethics or you'll have a short-lived career. Ethics. Forget photography. In photojournalism, the most important part of the photo is the accuracy of it. Everything else is extra.

No matter what, find out who the person's name is in the photo.

Story from a local photog I heard:
he once said that a little girl and her mother were outside playing or something. Several days after the photo ran, the paper received a call from the woman in the picture. She informed the paper that the girls mother had actually been dead for several years. The photog had assumed she was the girls mother.
The moral of the story, never assume anything, always ask.

Most reactions

Back