Newspaper Photos

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Gnat5680, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Gnat5680

Gnat5680 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So, Lets say I was just at a big sporting event, and I have some really cool shots, or I was at a big gathering and have some meaningful shots...

How do I go about getting these to a newspaper and what kinda of money could be made from these? (like whats an average pay-out?)

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Contact the Photo Desk, or the appropriate editor at the newspaper that you think might buy the photos and describe what you have before you transmit anything. Typically, a JPEG image sized at 10 inches on the longest dimension, and 200 ppi and sharpened pretty heavily, like 80% at 2 pixels at a threshold of 0 value is about what is used for newsprint publication. Newsprint has huge dot gain, so also make sure the black point is set to around 10-13 in the red,green,and blue channels, and the photos will be layout-ready. Send the files via e-mail or FTP to the address they tell you, and send CAPTION or CUTLINE information with each shot,and in that caption, state your name and the file number--in each and every caption.

Prices are going to vary between $35 for a small-town weekly on up; if you have any photos of say, Tiger Woods at whatever sex rehab clinic he was alleged to be at, I hear that The Enquirer will drop $600,000 on you for a pair of good images; you did have the camera on Continuous High, didn't you? The top price is hard to put a figure on....it depends on who you're trying to sell it to (New York Times or The Greater Suburban Danville, Illinois Advertiser will have vastly different rates), and what the subject is and how exclusive the photos really are.

3. Sam6644

Sam6644 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Contact the photo or media editor at whatever paper and tell them you have some photos they may be interested in. Tell them what it's all about.

DO NOT edit them. That's their job, and they don't want you to do it. They know specifically how they want them edited and how they need to be edited for their set-up.

In reality, I'm guna have to say they aren't going to pay you anything unless you got some pretty exclusive shots. If you continue to show them good work you may end up getting money from them, but don't expect it for your first shots unless they're something special.

I would suggest setting up something like a PhotoShelter account and sending links to it to editors and they can buy photos directly off of there.. that takes alot of the discussion of whether or not they want to pay you out of the equation- they'll either buy it or not, and they can buy it directly from your site.

4. the iconic image

the iconic image TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm going to DIS-agree with some of what Derrel said about editing the image.. DO NOT EDIT THE IMAGE. If the image depicts something they want and was captured in a reasonably effective way, THE PAPER WILL TAKE IT, and they do not want your idea of an edit.. When you become well established with a paper or in a market, then you will know exactly what they want and how they want it.. 10x200DPI or 8x200DPI is fine. GET NAMES.. If at all possible if there is a recognizable face in your photo, GET NAMES and spell them correctly.. Add this info to the data file inside the image. You aren't going to make a lot of money unless like Derrel said, you have Tiger Woods with ho # fill in the number.. So I agree $35 to $50 is a reasonable expectation.. Print media is on the way to being extinct in some markets but the web will take up the slack and you should have a price for print, and a price for web use and all of this is OF COURSE dependent on your consistency of handing in needed content.. Get to know someone on the photo desk by name, cell number, email, etc.. Be reliable, be on time, get the goods, and build a relationship.. If it's just a one time thing, disregard everything I said, take your 50 bucks and go to dinner..

the Iconic Image

5. Sam6644

Sam6644 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    familiarize yourself with the AP stylebook (~$30) and how to write AP style cutlines. Not everyone uses AP style, but it's pretty widely used and conforming to it will keep all of your work consistent and therefore more professional and marketable.

Like iconic image said, GET names and GET THEM RIGHT. Photos of people without their info is just about worthless to a respectable publication.

just a little info
    AP Stylebook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Gnat5680

Gnat5680 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What would be the best way to get familiar with the photo desk? Go down there in person, or send them an e-mail? In general, what is the best way to get into a newspaper as a freelance?

7. Sam6644

Sam6644 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get all your best work together, put it online somewhere VERY easy to access and VERY easy to look through. Make some phone calls and send some emails.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Consider that papers are very timely. Photographers post images hours if not moments after an event. Anything other then that it is old news. The best way to contact the photo dept (like anyone else is) is one email with a zed card in the mail. Even in small papers email boxes are full all the time so I would not hold up much hope for that approach.

Love & Bass

9. Sam6644

Sam6644 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Truth.

When I work next to people from The Associated Press and The Cincinnati Enquirer they have cutlines written and files sent to their editor before they even leave the event.

At Basketball games they all upload the files via FTP at half time and then at the end of the game.

When I covered the Cincinnati mayoral elections this past November, the guy there from The AP was uploading photos to his editor about every 15 minutes throughout the night.

10. Chris Cummins

Chris Cummins TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You will need to have some kind of capacity to send photos live from the event. So a basic laptop wi-Fi connection will work. You will need to have a firm grasp of AP style to write complete and through caption information. YOU MUST HAVE NAMES of each person in your photograph. That is non-negotiable.

Now, after you learn how to do all of that. Be sure to subtract your expenses and taxes from what newspaper pay freelancers then you will see you could have made more money delivering pizzas. I'm not kidding either.

It's a dead end road.

11. Gnat5680

Gnat5680 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am sure I got this wrong but there were not many e-mail addresses to choose from...

I sent out a photo I took tonight of a single car fire out side a book store to the Executive Editor. I gave all the details I could get from my point of view. The make of care, how many fire trucks and police, the extent of the fire, and damage... I did not have names for one of the photos with a person visible, but the others I sent did not show anyone within view... Here is what I sent in...

[​IMG]

What is my next step after this? What will they contact me for and what are the odds of getting any money?

Critique would be appreciated!

Thanks!

12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The focus is to soft. It looks like camera shake.

I doubt you'll hear back from them.