Next best thing to Photoshop?

There is no way in hates I could spend hundreds on CS3...lol! I just dont have that kind of cash on hand!

Same here.

Another vote for Elements. I have v5.0 - v6.0 is currently available for less then $100 (CostCo)

I read "how-to" books written for Photoshop CS and have no problems using Elements to do same thing - yet. Am assuming eventually something will come up, but will probably be something on a pro level.

Couple days ago, I signed up for a Google photo account - wanted to explore other sources to print photo.

They gave me something called Picasa. Have not pushed all the buttons yet, but it looks easier to use then Elements. It's FREEE :)

Picasa is horrible at editing photos.. Lol..

I recommend Photoshop Elements 5.0 that you can get for under 50 bucks on ebay.

Hi Sarah,

I posted an almost identical question on the General board. I have PS V6.0, and it's incredibly limited (digital photography was an embryo...well, an infant in 1999).

I have the demo of paintshop pro photo X2, and I am loving it - I'm tweking the hell out of everything I shoot and coming up with a lot of wierdness and goodness. The demo goes 30 days, and even though I've only had it a week I'm just going to buy it. It's $100.

My $0.02...

I have to agree with those who are saying Paint Shop Pro X2... I love it.

Next best thing to photoshop? A darkroom. You can't smell pan-merging software.

Haha!! I worked in darkrooms for several newspapers years and years ago and I had my own darkroom for over 30 years and I do not miss the smell at all. I thought I would miss having a darkroom when I went completely digital. I got over that in about 30 seconds when I saw what I could do with a digital image in a computer. :mrgreen:

Sarah, I was using Capture NX and PS Elements 2.0. I have just now started using Lightroom and I really, really like it. It is a bit over your price range, but it is really nice. You can find it on ebay for around 250.00, or, if there is anyone in your family who is in school, you can get an educational version of it for just a little over 100.00.

Couple days ago, I signed up for a Google photo account - wanted to explore other sources to print photo.

They gave me something called Picasa. Have not pushed all the buttons yet, but it looks easier to use then Elements. It's FREEE :)
I use Picasa to quickly organize photos and show clients right on the spot. I do NOT use it to edit though. It's kind of crappy for editing.

Stick with Elements. 6 is the current version.

If you're a Mac user (like me), 6 will be out in a couple of days for us.

I've already pre-ordered mine.

BTW, I also use Photoshop CS ... and haven't yet found a good reason to upgrade to CS3.

Haha!! I worked in darkrooms for several newspapers years and years ago and I had my own darkroom for over 30 years and I do not miss the smell at all. I thought I would miss having a darkroom when I went completely digital. I got over that in about 30 seconds when I saw what I could do with a digital image in a computer. :mrgreen:

Amen my brother. Can I get a hallelujah??? :D :D:bigangel::smileys:

Been there, done that and I gave the t-shirt away. The only thing I miss about my darkroom was the solitude from the wife on occasions. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back