Next investment

WolfSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like some advice/opinions on the next thing I should buy towards mine and/or my wife's systems. This is what we currently have:

All Nikon
D80
D40(X2 batteries)
18-55 f/3.5(kit lens)
55-200 f/? (kit lens)
18-135 Nikkor(in the shop:grumpy:)
70-300 VR
SB-600
Tripod
MonoPod
Mil-13 remote(if I can find it :grumpy:)

THe wife and I are discussing the following items:

An off camera flash for the wife, she's looking at a quantry or sunsomething for 150 that does bounce but no swivle.

A second battery for my D80
A 50mm f/1.8

I'm in no rush for anything right now, though that 50mm would be nice, and she will need a flash, but I'd like to hold out for a SB-800 and give her my 600. She also wants a better lens, but I'm not getting a 18-200 VR yet. Anything here I'm not thinking that would be a next step up? Any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated.

i think you should pass everything on to me and start again :lol::lol::lol:

i wish i could help but someone will come along with some help soon

Well for one thing, I definitely wouldn't consider the 18-200mm a better lens than anything you already have. It has the convenience of covering a huge range of focal lengths with one lens, and that's what it's for, but you wouldn't be seeing any improvement in image quality with that lens (in fact the opposite is more likely, due to the distortion at either end with such an extreme zoom). So I'd forget the 18-200mm unless it's a question of space/weight rather than quality.

Personally I'd go for the 50mm, since you already have a flash and presumably can share this with your wife until you get another one. In the meantime the 50mm offers something you don't already have, with the large maximum aperture, and a potential image quality arguably better than any of your current lenses. So that would be my choice. On the other hand, if you don't have any particular need an are in no hurry to get anything specific, you could just save your money ;)

For the price/quality that the 50mm f/1.8 offers, I am asking myself why everyone doesn't own it. I bought mine off of amazon.com for $105US plus shipping.

1468021225_c79ca78a98.jpg

1393710389_d6a16b4717.jpg

You need a prime, fast.

Get it?

Thats what I was thinking too. I see the "gray market" 50mm 1.8 for 108 and free shipping, or I can get the US model for 124 at a bricks and mortar store, or online. My wifes argument on the lens is everything I do is outdoors right now and I have no need for a short range lens, but I told her she can use it to take pictures of the kids field trips that she goes on all the time. Thanks for the re-inforcement argument lol.

When did outdoors and short-range become mutually exclusive? Perhaps if you're strictly a nature photographer. I might ask, what do you primarily shoot? Actually, even if you do shoot only outdoor things that are far away, you'd be surprised at the utility of a longer prime...particularly with your crop factor.

I like your idea. 50mm 1.8 and pass on your old flash. that flash you mentioned sounds more like a cheapie...hold out and get the bigboy.

YOU NEED A FAST LENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, do not let anyone convince you that the 18-200 is anything but junk Besides you already have alot of slow glass in your bag.

The 50 f/1.8 turned out to be far more useful than I expected and was a great choice for first prime lens. The low light capabilities have been great indoors and even outside. It's not that expensive - ePhotocraft has a US one for $113 (no affiliation - but have done well there and no NY taxes, an issue for me with the big NYC stores).

A SB400 - going SMALLER with the flash, down from the 800 - actually proved to be worthwhile for us. The 800 is big and heavy and overkill for alot. My wife carries the D40 and SB400 all the time. The 400 goes for $100-125 but it sounds like your wife wants more than it'll provide.

Sidenote: My wife LOVES the 18-200 VR - it's the lens she leaves on the D40 all the time, but you've got that range covered with the 18-55 and the 55-200. The VR is useful but since you have the 70-300 VR, and it's more of an issue with longer lengths, you don't have a pressing need for it.

Also, do not let anyone convince you that the 18-200 is anything but junk Besides you already have alot of slow glass in your bag.

We all get it, you don't like to 18-200 VR Lens, but I have never seen one person be so hard on a lens.

I agree with you that they need some fast glass, but I have to 18-200 VR and I love it. When I am out walking it is my lens of choice, it might be a bit soft but it's not that bad. It is quite useful for a walk around lens.:wink:

But I would recomend the 50mm F1.8, lots of bang for the buck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back