Next lens decision: Help?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Christmas is nearing, and this is my situation. I want another lens for my D70S, and was looking at the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 HSM. After discussing it with my parents, they agreed to purchase an 18-50 for me for Christmas assuming that my GPA would be 4.0 or above. This would allow me to sell my Nikkor 18-70mm, and I estimate I will get around $100-200 from the sale, which is nice. I will also have some Christmas gift money coming in. Here is my dilema. These are the lenses I'm considering:

Tokina 100mm F2.8 Macro
Sigma 105mm F2.8 Macro
Sigma 70-200 F2.8
Tokina 50-135mm F2.8
Sigma 18-50 HSM

I am into very general photography. I enjoy Landscapes the most, but get very little chance to shoot them. I am wanting to get into portrait and people photography. Here are my options as far as a setup:

Get the Sigma 18-50 HSM, sell the 18-70, and start saving for a Tokina 100mm Macro or a Sigma 105mm Macro.

Keep the 18-70, put the Christmas money toward getting a Tokina 50-135, or maybe a Sigma 70-200 (a long shot).

My main question is the amount of improvement from the 18-70mm to the 18-50? And is the 18-70 a good enough lens for a semi-advanced photographer to be using? I'm also assuming the Tokina 50-135's quality is on par with the 70-200, or at least past the Sigma 18-50.

Priorities for buying a lens (in order):

1) Image quality
2) Build quality
3) AF
4) F stop
5) Size (assuming it fits in my Tamrac Adventure 7).

EDIT: I would also like to know if the Tokina (or the Sigma) macro is on par image quality-wise with the 70-200.

Get the Sigma 18-50 HSM, sell the 18-70
This doesn't make too much sense to me. You are wanting to replace one consumer lens with another consumer lens that has less focal range. Yes, you would be getting a constant f/2.8 aperture, but are you convinced that image quality will be improved? Price difference on new products is only ~$40 more for the Sigma. Without researching, that makes me want to go Hmmmmm?

Personally, I would consider a focal length that you are missing and need rather than getting less than you have.

Just my 2¢.

Oh, and for another 1¢..... Nah, hell, I'll throw this in for free....use the lens hood provided with whatever you decide on.

This doesn't make too much sense to me. You are wanting to replace one consumer lens with another consumer lens that has less focal range. Yes, you would be getting a constant f/2.8 aperture, but are you convinced that image quality will be improved? Price difference on new products is only ~$40 more for the Sigma. Without researching, that makes me want to go Hmmmmm?

Personally, I would consider a focal length that you are missing and need rather than getting less than you have.

Just my 2¢.

Oh, and for another 1¢..... Nah, hell, I'll throw this in for free....use the lens hood provided with whatever you decide on.

Huh? The sigma is nearly double the price of the 18-70, and is supposedly on par with the Nikkor 17-55 F2.8, a near-pro lens. This seems like quite a large jump to me, but I could be wrong. That's at least what I have read.

The 50-135 is also looking more appealing by the minute. From what I've read, it has pro-level quality and is not too far out of reach of my budget. Now I just have to make sure it fits in my Tamrac Adventure 7 :p.

You can find them for under $370US any time at Sigma4less.

As far as quality... this lens has beat out $1500 Nikkor lenses in 3 photography shootouts last year. It is an incredible lens, period... add in the fact that it is 1/4 the price of a Nikkor and has a 3:1 macro, something NONE of it's competitors have, makes this choice a complete no brainer if this is the range you are looking for.

I own this lens and can tell you it is incredibly sharp and of good quality.

I cant speak for all of the lenses on your list... but a fellow moderator on my site uses both the 18-50 and the 70-200 Siggies... and they are both EXTREMELY good lenses for the prices... you wont find a lens on par for IQ for anywhere near the price ranges with the same specs...

Well then, I guess that's my first choice as far as a walkaround lens. Thanks guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back