Next lens for Canon 7D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by riddle777, Jul 11, 2010.

1. riddle777

riddle777 TPF Noob!

Hello everyone!

I have recently got into photography a couple of months ago and have fell in love with it. I think I am ready to buy my next lens nut am unsure what to get. Right now I have a 28-135 and a 50mm. If I could get suggestions on what my bag is missing I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. justindavid

justindavid TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'd go for a sharper "L" series lens. A bit more $$$ but you'll be blown away by how much they improve the image quality.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you like to shoot? Wildlife? Portraits? Macro? Sports? Landscapes? We need this information to make suggestions!

With the tight pixel density on the 7D, I agree that high-end glass becomes very desirable. I've noticed a big difference between my 30D and my 7D in this regard. If you can afford "L" series glass, I'd definitely lean in that direction. There are many options, however, depending on your own shooting interests.

4. justindavid

justindavid TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    exactly! a cheap lens on the 7D is like buying a ferrari and putting a 4 banger in it.

5. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are unsure what lens to get, you don't need another lens. Not trying to sound flip here, but lenses, like other gear should be purchased by need. If you need an ultra wide angle, why purchase a 400mm???

You need another lens or lenses when you can define a need that your gear does not meet at this point in time. Once you define that need, then it becomes the time to ask opinions on the best lens to fulfill that need at the price you can afford. Same goes with other gear. Since you don't include what you have in the way of overall gear it is really hard to give any meaningful advise at this point. :D

6. subscuck

subscuck No longer a newbie, moving up!

Illinois, where even the dead get to vote
    Photos OK to edit
    Agreed ^^^. Spend some time learning to get the most out of the gear you have right now. The more you use what you have, the more you'll figure out what kind of pics you can't take with your gear that you want to take. That's the point at which you figure out what lens(es) you need to get those pics.

7. riddle777

riddle777 TPF Noob!

As of right now I mainly do macro, landscapes, and portraits.... I have an urge to learn everything and become an expert in every field. I really want to invest in an L lense but I don't want to go over $1,000.... Any specific suggestions would be great!

8. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Google lens types, such as "landscape type lens", and then do some searching/researching. You will find plenty to read. Once you do that, come back here with a range of glass and we can all discuss it.

Have fun, you might want to make a couple of bags of popcorn.;)

9. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon 10-22mm
    Canon 16-35mm
    Canon 17-55mm EF-S

Good choices for landscape lenses... the EF-S won't be usable on a full frame should you upgrade in the future.

10. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use my 24-105F4L IS on my 7d most of the time. You can find them for under your budget and its a GREAT lens. It will serve you well for walk around, portraits, etc.

11. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you enjoy macro, the new 100mm L comes in right under $1000. The older 100mm macro is also an excellent choice as its resolving power will play nicely with the 7D.

If you enjoy doing landscapes and you don't need ultra-wide, look at the 17-40L. It's around $700 and also a good walk-around lens.

Portraits -- the 50mm is a solid portrait performer, as is the 85mm 1.8. The 135mm f2L is a very odd focal length prime on a crop sensor, but the lens is a beautiful piece of work and relatively inexpensive where L primes are concerned. If you want really, really nice looking portraits with great compression, look at the 70-200 F4 L (IS is over your price range, non-IS is not) or the 300mm F4 L (a little north of your price range), but I LOVE shooting portraits with telephotos. The zoom would cover your 85mm range and 135mm but not the F-stops and narrow DOF. I've no experience with the non-IS f4L, though, so I can't speak to its IQ (the IS version is tack sharp), but it is an affordable L.

The sigma 10-20 is nice if you feel the need for ultra-wide, but it won't really play well if you ever upgrade to full frame (you can mount it, though). I prefer it over the canon ef-s 10-22mm, personally.