Next Lens??

NicoleDaly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I have the Canon T3i with the standard 18-55mm f/4.5 lens. I'm currently photographing pets, kids, & babies... Basically people ; )

I want to purchase a new lens with awesome bokah, so I heard the 55mm f/1.8 was the one to get, but there is no zoom.
I'm so spoiled by the zoom now on my 18-55, I can't imagine not having it on my next lens.
Another recommendation was to get an 85mm lens with zoom, but I know nothing about it.

Can anyone help me out? I'm new to photography and to this forum : )
Thanks a million!
-Nicole : )

Welcome!

Ok the lens you are talking about is a 50mm f/1.8. Yes there is no zoom, this is called a prime lens. A prime lens will have much better sharpness then a zoom lens will and that is the advantage as well as size and weight generally. The second lens you are referring to is a 85mm but from the way you describe it you are talking about the 85mm 1.8 lens which is also a prime. With a prime you would have to move yourself in relation to your subject rather then turning the focal length (zoom). Primes have been said to make a person a better photographer because is forces you to move around to change your composition.

Now when it comes to the bokah you are referring to, the 50mm f/1.8 is not known for its bokah and actually gets complaints about it. The 50mm f/1.4 however has an excellent bokah and is a great lens. The difference between the 85mm and the 50mm you refer to is simply going to be your distance from the subject. I could go into more detail but you said you are new and I don't want to confuse you any more they you probably will be after you read this. My suggestion would be the 50mm f/1.4.

an 85mm has no zoom either. It's a prime lens or a fixed lens too. The 85 and the 50mm are awesome for portraits. The 50mm on the crop sensor bodies especially.
What is it that your lens isn't doing for you? Just the bokeh? Bokeh is achieved using a low aperture and by being close to your subject-either PHYSICALLY close or by using your zoom to be closer. Putting your background some distance in background definitely helps. Closer to the subject than the subject is to the background.

In order to easily get bokeh you will need an f/1.8 or better lens, however you will not find a zoom that is f/1.8 or better. It can be achieved fairly well with an f/2.8 lens and you will find zooms at f/2.8. The Canon 24-70 f/2.8L is the most common lens of choice for the wide range and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II is the lens of choice in the long zoom range. That totals about $3700 in lenses. :) The quality of those lenses is enough to warrant the price. The quality of images you will get with them will make you throw that kit lens straight in the trash bin.
There are budget options, but they aren't CHEAP like the 50mm f/1.8 is. You're looking at a minimum of about $450 or more. Is that doable? And do you want to stick with the wide angle range you are in with the 18-55 or do you want long zoom? Max budget? The quality on the budget lenses is still considerably better than the kit lens you are using and will definitely make you hate the one you have.

an 85mm has no zoom either. It's a prime lens or a fixed lens too. The 85 and the 50mm are awesome for portraits. The 50mm on the crop sensor bodies especially.
What is it that your lens isn't doing for you? Just the bokeh? Bokeh is achieved using a low aperture and by being close to your subject-either PHYSICALLY close or by using your zoom to be closer. Putting your background some distance in background definitely helps. Closer to the subject than the subject is to the background.

In order to easily get bokeh you will need an f/1.8 or better lens, however you will not find a zoom that is f/1.8 or better. It can be achieved fairly well with an f/2.8 lens and you will find zooms at f/2.8. The Canon 24-70 f/2.8L is the most common lens of choice for the wide range and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II is the lens of choice in the long zoom range. That totals about $3700 in lenses. :) The quality of those lenses is enough to warrant the price. The quality of images you will get with them will make you throw that kit lens straight in the trash bin.
There are budget options, but they aren't CHEAP like the 50mm f/1.8 is. You're looking at a minimum of about $450 or more. Is that doable? And do you want to stick with the wide angle range you are in with the 18-55 or do you want long zoom? Max budget? The quality on the budget lenses is still considerably better than the kit lens you are using and will definitely make you hate the one you have.

Indeed.

I recommend getting the 50mm 1.8 II anyways. It's so ridiculously cheap, and personally I love it. Seriously, once you recognize the difference in image quality when comparing to the kit lens....you will never ever look back (if you're sane and not blind ;))!
And the zoom issue. You can't imagine not having it, because you haven't tried it. As long as you are physically able to move, you will do just fine with your subjects. Getting out of your comfort zone will make you a better photographer, and I do agree with the argument that using a prime lens will force you to pay more attention to the composition. I love moving around while I take photos. It feels like I'm working for the shots. I can't imagine just sitting in a chair by the riding school (I photograph horses a lot) and just snapping away from there.

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Zoom. Has a 50mm setting. Has a 17mm setting. Has a FIXED maximum aperture value of f/2.8.

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Zoom. Has a 50mm setting. Has a 17mm setting. Has a FIXED maximum aperture value of f/2.8.
I really don't care for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I have it. It's not the sharpest tool in the shed. I'd much prefer the Tamron 28-75 (which I also have) for it's clarity.
Plus you don't have as much problem with the ultra wide 17-28mm settings and lens distortion.

WOW! Thank you EVERYONE for the feedback... I definitely will take everything you all said to heart!!
I appreciate it. Because of my budget, I think I'll be buying the 55mm first, since I've heard great things about it & its cheaper.... then I'll save for another in the future. ;)
Your ALL AWESOME!!!!

WOW! Thank you EVERYONE for the feedback... I definitely will take everything you all said to heart!!
I appreciate it. Because of my budget, I think I'll be buying the 55mm first, since I've heard great things about it & its cheaper.... then I'll save for another in the future. ;)
Your ALL AWESOME!!!!

Please don't go to the store and ask for a 55mm. We're pretty sure you're talking about Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II.

tingeliM said:
Please don't go to the store and ask for a 55mm. We're pretty sure you're talking about Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II.

YES YES!!! I meant to say the Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II!!! Haha

I've had the 50mm 1.8 and traded up to the 1.4 because it has more aperture blades and is built a lot better. If you are looking for some great bokeh in your pictures the 1.8 is going to give your lights a weird pentagon look while the 1.4 won't. Other than that and the build quality not much different from the two. I think it depends on your budget. 1.4 is 3 times as much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back