Next purchase for D7100 - flashgun?

tank121

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK so I've had my d7100 for a few months but not used it as much as i should. Due to the fact that I unexpectedly began the manager of an under 10's football and just qualified as an FA coach.

I have 3 lenses Sigma 17-50 2.8, Nikon 35mm and Nikon 55-200 in addition to my excellent Vanaguard tripod.

I was all set to purchase the Sb700 with some cash from Xmas but then saw this deal -

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon Fit Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

I've been thinking of buying a wide angle lens and you get the free Sigma Flashgun - Sigma EF-610 DG ST Electronic Flash for Sigma SLR Cameras

Is there a massive difference between the Sigma and Nikon sb700? Yes the Sigma lens deal is £100 more but you're getting a Flashgun and lens.

I've even found a specific course in a studio to learn how to use the Nikon Speedlight properly. Did a studio lighting course there which was great.

How often do people use their speedlights? Is it an essential purchase?

I mainly like shooting portraits, landscapes and buildings.

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In shooting landscapes and architecture the speedlight will have occasional use, but for portraiture, a flash is very useful.

I use my speedlight nearly as often as I use the camera.

Really depends on your objectives. If you just want an on-camera flash for p&s style shooting, get the cheapest Nikon/off brand available. If it's Strobist style speedlight-based studio shooting, you have lots of choice among late-film Nikon speedlights and others coupled with radio triggers.

speed lights are wonderful for portrait photography.
(I don't want to say necessary or vital because its not entirely true...and some people might get offended)
they are pretty much a necessity for what I shoot (formal portraits) and they are also extremely useful for outdoor shots as well. (fill flash)

I think anyone serious about photography should have at least one or two flashes and know how to use them.
(I have 6+ with radio triggers)
For people photography, flashes offer a huge advantage over just going outside (or inside by a window) and hoping for favorable natural conditions.
otherwise, you are completely dependent/at the mercy of weather conditions, time of day, cloud cover.. etc etc.

so to answer your question...
strictly speaking my own personal opinion from years of portrait experience....
get a flash. learn how to use it on and off camera. then get another flash.
once you get flash photography dialed in and see what you can do with it, you will be hooked.

Went for the Sigma 10-20 with free Sigma flashgun. Gets me a great lens and good start for flash :)

Vanguard alta pro is my heavy duty one and a cheap one which potentially I could mount the flash on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back