Next step in photo gear? (Any Advice)

Jbuzzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a Photography Student at Northern Michigan University and I am looking for advice on what gear I should be looking at next. I have access to software (adobe CS3 and Lightroom), printers, and a dark room at/from school

I own:
Canon Digital Rebel XTi
-EFS 18-55mm kit lens
-EFS 55-250mm lense
-Sigma 10-22mm Wide Angle Lens
-2 batteries
-2 compact flash cards (1g and a 4g)

Nikon N55 (Film)
-28-80mm lens
-Tamron 70-300mm lens

manfrotto modo tripod
Crumpler whickey and cox photo bag
Canon photo bag
lots of colro film (velvia) and B&W film (ilford)
Macbook Pro (with above programs)
2 External hard drives (WD Passports)

how is my set up? what should I be looking at

It is easier if you provide more information than just an equipment list. Things like
* what type of photography do you like the shoot
* what about your current equipment that you don't like

Photography equipment is purchased with a purpose not just to collect. 50mm f/1.8 (or f/1.4) could be an inexpensive worth while step towards the wonders of prime lenses.

Welcome to the forum.

It seems to me that you are lacking a 'fast' lens (large max aperture). So I would also recommend a prime (non zoom) lens with a large aperture. There are many options, from $100 to $5000+.......so what's your budget?

These kinds of threads make me chuckle... how could anyone on the far side of the world know what YOU need other than yourself?

Having equipment JUST based on what you already bought, thats NO basis for knowing either what you want or what you need.

YOU have to know what you want and what you need... not people on some photography forum.... so, my answer to your question of what should I be looking at" would be... when YOU figure that out, come back and let us know at least we can give you some proper advice instead of shooting in the dark.

Personally, I like to choose what equipment I want/need myself, not leave it in the hands of strangers on the other side of the world... lol

going along with faster primes, another thing you may want to look into is some sort of lighting (what you'd want probably depends on the type of shooting you want to do). Perhaps a strobe or a monolight or something.

I shoot mostly nature type photography, but I would like to do more street photography and photo journalism. I am going to be learning studio photography this semester.

the only thing i don't like in my set up is that my lenses are not interchangeable.
flashes, lighting, and remote shutters are on my list of products to investigate. you can check out my photos (see signature) and let me know what they think would be the better investment.

These kinds of threads make me chuckle... how could anyone on the far side of the world know what YOU need other than yourself?

Having equipment JUST based on what you already bought, thats NO basis for knowing either what you want or what you need.

YOU have to know what you want and what you need... not people on some photography forum.... so, my answer to your question of what should I be looking at" would be... when YOU figure that out, come back and let us know at least we can give you some proper advice instead of shooting in the dark.

Personally, I like to choose what equipment I want/need myself, not leave it in the hands of strangers on the other side of the world... lol

well, like any activity there are usually certain items that prove more helpful than others as well as prerequisites in equipment. I have never used proper lighting before so I am unsure as to how useful it would be. flashes have obvious benefits but maybe there are some advantages to a remote shutter that I am unaware of... then again it is possible that all of that is worthless without a good set of lenses. frankly I just don't know what would be more helpful.

I am looking to expand my horizon so i guess my question becomes; is there any equipment that anyone thinks is a must have or that opens lots of possibilities?

Well, again this all depends on what you're wanting to do, and what you are thinking you will photograph. It also depends on what you like and don't like about the equipment you currently have. What is perfect for me is absolutely not going to be perfect for others on the forum who are focusing on different aspects. If your goal is photographing landscapes etc. I can't imagine that you would really want to purchase heavy duty lighting (at least not yet).

Give us a bit more information and we could probably offer you some more useful advice.

This information is what you want to do, the price you would be able to afford, and what you like and don't like about the equipment you have.

Well a small hint you gave is that you will be doing studio lighting, but NOT if you will like it or anything.

How about reading Lighting 101 and 102 on the Strobist site? Lots of good info there.

thanks for the link jerry.

As for pricing I think $1,000 is right around my limit.
I like most of my equipment right now, I just got my wide angle so I haven't had much of a chance to produce anything with it. I tend to dislike the crop factor on digital cameras so I am hoping that the wide angle will give me the view im looking for. It may not hurt to have a little more zoom but i think I'm set with what I have for now.
While I am shooting nature photography I am excited to do more studio work. I feel confined by nature photography because I do not have a car up at school and feel limited by the same general areas. You can only take so many pictures of lake superior. This is why lighting appeals to me, it would allow me to set up shots instead of hiking around to find shots.

AS your heading for studio work chances are your funds might end up being directed into that - however on the nature front, if your limited with access have you considered macro work?
Insects, flowers, raindrops - there is quite a large covering of subjects and one does not have to have large wild areas, zoo fees or hides for it

Maybe a Good L? That and some small speed lites. If you learn about lighting, you can use battery powered strobes instead of lugging around studio lights. Being able to use a lighting setup any where does have it's benefits.

The direct link:
Strobist: Lighting 101

I would like to do more street photography and photo journalism.

You pretty much have everything you need for street. Some street photographers carry two bodies; one for your 10-22 and another for the more normal 18-55.

I am going to be learning studio photography this semester.

Good information... look into strobes, stands, umbrellas as already suggested. The strobist website is a wonderful resource.

Really though like others have said you have no fast primes. Why primes you ask? They force you to use your feet to zoom and, will teach you more on composing a shot. Most of us old timers started out with a 50mm lens. It was pretty much the standard starter.

Most reactions

Back