Next step in photo gear? (Any Advice)

Really though like others have said you have no fast primes. Why primes you ask? They force you to use your feet to zoom and, will teach you more on composing a shot. Most of us old timers started out with a 50mm lens. It was pretty much the standard starter.

I gave mine away. Now my only prime is a 15mm f/2.8 FE :grumpy:

If you were to get into macro a macro lens make for a great portrait lens
That's a pretty broad statement that is far from accurate.

A Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro is an awesome macro lens but a crappy portrait lens.

An "ideal" macro lens that does amazing portraits would be something along the lines of a Nikkor or Sigma 105mm F/2.8 macro. Incredible macro lens (1:1 magnification) and an amazingly sharp and fast portrait lens with zero measureable facial distortions... lenses under 70-80mm cannot say this at all.

Also, a macro lens with a longer focal length will be farther from the subject during macro shots even at maximum magnification levels. This is important if shooting living things like butterflies and bees, which generally do not want a lens stuck in their face a half-inch away from them while being photographed. A 105mm macro at 1:1 magnification is about 12 inches away from the subject.

Another point... 105mm is about as long a macro lens that can be used hand-held. Longer focal lengths are available, but at that point, a tripod is mandatory.

That's a pretty broad statement that is far from accurate.

A Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro is an awesome macro lens but a crappy portrait lens.

I wouldn't say crappy... not as good as some, but not crappy.

I wouldn't say crappy... not as good as some, but not crappy.

Yeah, thats a more fair statement. Let's just say that it's not what I would call nor use as a portrait lens for my first choice.

I think one thing that's REALLY IMPORTANT that most people overlook in terms of gear, is GOOD BUSINESS SKILLS (IMHO), photography is extremely competitive and staff jobs are few. With the shrinking US economy newspapers are dying, companies have less money to spend on photographers for advertising, knowing how to conduct a business, charge the right rates, have the right contracts and the know how of dealing with clients is very important.

You may think, what the hell I asked for gear, but I think this piece of gear, is more valuable then any lens or camera, because if you don't know how to manage the money and business aspect of photography, and stay successful and afloat running a photography business, then the camera and lens is useless.

I think one thing that's REALLY IMPORTANT that most people overlook in terms of gear, is GOOD BUSINESS SKILLS (IMHO), photography is extremely competitive and staff jobs are few. With the shrinking US economy newspapers are dying, companies have less money to spend on photographers for advertising, knowing how to conduct a business, charge the right rates, have the right contracts and the know how of dealing with clients is very important.

You may think, what the hell I asked for gear, but I think this piece of gear, is more valuable then any lens or camera, because if you don't know how to manage the money and business aspect of photography, and stay successful and afloat running a photography business, then the camera and lens is useless.

This actually makes a lot of sense to me. I was talking to my photo teacher last semester and he lent me a book entirely on the business of photography and how to manage yourself and your work.

That being said I ask you; any tips on production... is it good to make a lot of prints now that I can sell later? is it a wise move to print a series opposed to what i consider my best photos?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back