NHL Playoffs

Chase said:
I guess there are two ways to look at the situation. On one hand, playoff viewership would be limited and therefore limit revenue. On the other hand, getting a team to go that far is a good way to get a "non-hockey" town going and to expand the market for those teams.

The "hockey towns" will be hockey towns regardless, but what the NHL really needs is market expansion in areas where hockey is less popular. Nothing like the playoffs to help spark some new interest, the attendance difference for the Ducks last season was unreal.

While I don't disagree, some would argue that expansion is part of what is killing the NHL. There are too many teams in places that don't care enough about them...and the talent is getting spread pretty thin. Attendance revenue is peanuts compared to major TV deals and people in the US just don't watch hockey. It gets less viewers than bowling.

It all doesn't really matter if they can't hammer out a new CBA. I believe that they need some way to level the playing field between small & large markets (or deep & shallow pocketed owners)...a salary cap would be nice. Of course with the most expensive teams really sucking lately...maybe someone will see the light.

Good point.

When I mentioned expansion, I was referring more to the expansion of the fan base in places where NHL teams already exists but lack popularity. I believe there are already a few too many teams in the league and any further expansion would really hurt the sport.

Big Mike said:
Chase said:
... The "hockey towns" will be hockey towns regardless, but what the NHL really needs is market expansion in areas where hockey is less popular. Nothing like the playoffs to help spark some new interest, the attendance difference for the Ducks last season was unreal.

While I don't disagree, some would argue that expansion is part of what is killing the NHL. There are too many teams in places that don't care enough about them...and the talent is getting spread pretty thin ...

Down here in N.C. The 'Canes got some respect for about, oh, 5 seconds after making the finals. The reason, they went right out and tripped over their trophy the next season. Well, that, and this is really a basketball/football state as a whole. Most folks around here look at me like I have 3 eyes if I try to talk hockey. It doesn't help that there is never a game on television.

I agree that the NHL needs some contraction, unfortunately. And they really better get a handle on the situation quick.

I still think a good outcome would be to totally restructure the league and run it more like european football (soccer). Have a premiere division and then lower divisions, and at the end of the season the top 3 or 4 D1 teams get promoted and the bottom 3 or 4 premiere teams get relegated to D1. Gives the small market teams a chance to compete, and you're watching not only the top of the league, but the bottom as well to see who's going down, as well as watching D1 to see who's coming up the following year.

I think you're right, Shark. That format seems to be tailor-made for the NHL. If they can couple that with a realistic salary cap, and try for some kind of television deal they can probably make a serious comeback.

Without some network tv exposure, tho, the league will fold. Casual fans have a better shot of finding bowling or fishing on television than hockey. If the league will accept a monetraily modest deal that gets them more exposure, people will hopefully remember how much more action and excitement there is in hockey than nearly any other sport.

Wow... I leave for a couple weeks, come back, and there's 3 pages of posts here... hehe.

Looks like an interesting conference final in both the East and West... who do you think will come out?

Calgary vs. Lighting final?

thebassman said:
Wow... I leave for a couple weeks, come back, and there's 3 pages of posts here... hehe.

Looks like an interesting conference final in both the East and West... who do you think will come out?

Calgary vs. Lighting final?

Honestly I have no idea. Both series have blowouts in either direction, plus really close games. It's a total tossup if you ask me. I love it!! :D

Most reactions

Back